Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I have 2 small dogs. for the last 5 years. I also have a 12

I have 2 small dogs. for the last 5 years. I also have a 12 year old. I am a business owner and very busy. We have recently moved and the original plan was that the dogs would live with my mother, she doesn't really want them. Now we have been offered a home for the dogs to live. They will not be separated and they would be well taken care of. I believe the family that wants them would be able to spend more time with them, and would love. The problem is getting my daughter to agree to give them away. Now, you also must know that I am the only one who takes care of the dogs. She really has nothing to do with them. She gets annoyed with them, and especially if she has to help me take them to the vet, etc... she just doesn't want me to give them away. She likes having them or better, knowing they are there if she ever wants to have anything to do with them, but I don't think she would really miss them in the end. Also, I don't want to put that kind of responsibility on her to make that decision, but I also don't want her to be mad at me later on. P.S. She didn't have any responsibilities as far as the dogs are concerned, and I'm sure, as much as a child will promise, she will not have responsibilities in the future. I also don't want to pass up this opportunity for the dogs to get a good home and stay together.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Josie and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No... I haven't gotten an answer...

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Josie~Moderator
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear concerned parent,

I believe that I can help.

You have three options.

Clearly one is the best: to let the dogs have a home where they will be taken care of and happy together. They will get the best human attention and will be happiest themselves.

They do not have a viable option with your mother, who seems to be reluctant to take them, and if she did it might be grudgingly.

You do not have the time yourself to dedicate to them and your daughter will not be responsible for them. If she was serious about this, then she would already have fallen into the role of their caretaker, and has not done so.

I do not know how much time you have left before you have to make the decision, but if your daughter steps up to the plate and takes over from this moment forward, and sticks with it, then she could prove herself.

However, I fear (as you seem to) that she would not keep up with her responsibility.

You would be better off in the long run if you gave them to their new potential owners and explain to your daughter that there was real choice. Someone has to be in charge and make decisions, and that must be you.

Your daughter may learn that actions speak louder than words and that empty promises are not enough. This is not a punishment either. It is a hard decision and you do not have a viable alternative.

She will get over their absence soon enough and may realize that she was in part responsible for you decision, as you could not longer be their caregiver, and she never tried to be.

If she cannot bear to lose them then she will take care of them. It probably won't happen, as you implied.

I think that everything will work out for all concerned.

Warm regards,

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.