Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

My 18 year old son

My 18 year old son and I took a trip to the city to visit the doctors and he drove. I got lost and a little anxious than he told me to calm down. I wasn't even panicking , but he must have picked up on my anxiety. Next, when we arrived at the parking deck, I was concerned it was too far of a walk with my bad foot. I expressed that concern twice, and he began to yell at me to stop ! ...and that he knows what he is doing.  

Because he yelled, I told him he is attacking me. I tried to be nice to him on the way home and he simply told me that he does not want talk to me. Then he came out with a comment that he never wants to drive with me ever again to the city. I cried because Im trying my best to be nice despite being in physical pain, and he was treating me unkindly and I told him that. Normally, we have a great relationship, but it is two days later, and when he came home to visit today after college, he was cold and would not talk to me and left early. Usually, we joke around, and this hurt me very much. He has never been mad at me for that long. I mentioned to him today that I was hoping this is something we could get past, but he is still very angry. I am perplexed at the intensity and duration of his anger toward me. He left without saying goodbye, and it was painful. Is he being abusive? Or just having difficulty letting go of his anger toward me. Kate or Elliott preffered, but if unavailable, a licenced psychologist guidance please. Thank you ...

Category: Relationship
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear Dawn,

I am not sure what provoked your sons original impatience and lack of regard for you, but he did not make good choices in his behaviour or actions

He is young and apparently lacking in the knowledge of appropriate behaviour. He should have driven you to the entrance door to minimize the walk, and then parked the car and met you inside.

Perhaps something is troubling him, but he must be made to realize that he does not live in a vacuum, and in fact owes a lot to you.

This kind of extreme irritability can arise from depression. If so it may be accompanied by fatigue, or lack of initiative or interest in other things, by less activity, change in sleeping or eating habits, increase in sadness.

He IS being abusive and may be angry abou some slight, or feel that he has or was treated wrongly.

It is at momehts such as his iwhe you cannot get communicatih ahd r9beoj respect that you withdraw some from you son and oeot him find his center again. He shall.

I wish you peace of mind and the strength to endure this unnecessary stress;

Warm regards.

Elliott
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much Elliott