Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology helping with relationships
50444359

(I am a gay girl) I am still friends with my ex. She broke

(I am a gay girl) I am still friends with my ex. She broke up with me five months ago, primarily because she doesn't want to be in a relationship, and feels like she is incapable of "being in love". A week ago I told her about my confusion in our friendship, about how I still felt like I wanted to date her, and I didn't know if I could ever know how to "just be a friend". On her part, although she doesn't want an exclusive relationship, she is still very attracted to me and would like to have a "friends with benefits type relationship" with me, but feels like it's unfair to me. And now I find myself considering it too. We both have a strong desire for physical intimacy (what human doesn't) although hers is more carnal, and mine entirely based in a desire for emotional affirmation, that in a close enough friendship with a girl, turns into a desire for sex. I guess I just can't decide if my desire to be her "friend with benefits" is a self-destructive desire or not. I can't decide if it's a self-destructive structuring of a relationship just in general. I came to understand my sexuality later in life than most people, my sex drive is entirely new to me, and it's hard for me to understand my sex drive, or want to say no to it when the person I want is someone I also care about a lot.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 1 year ago.

Hi! I'll be glad to help you with this issue.

I can imagine how confusing this situation must be for you. You think very deeply about things and you want to arrive at the truth of things to feel good. And also to get to good results. You also feel deeply. So you are aware of your emotional connections and you want to understand them. And again to have them feel good and to get good results.

And this is actually the key to my answer to you that you need to consider and think about. Your ex wants a more "surface", or "superficial" relationship. In terms of emotional connection is what I'm referring to. When you say that you are concerned that to follow her in that path might be self destructive for you, I see you mean that you know yourself to be emotionally too connected, that you cannot separate physicality from your emotional self, and therefore it will become enmeshed in your thoughts/feelings. And you will be hurt because you'll want more than she is looking for.

You're right. And if you look at it objectively, you are really saying you'll get to where you are right now all over again: you'll feel more an emotional connection/need and she'll want more a physical/casual friend relationship. That's the current situation. So it will be destructive for you because you'll have put in a lot of your "heart" and after that emotional climb, you'll fall back to where you are now.

I would like to encourage you to accept yourself as you are. It doesn't have to be a question of which is better. She's looking for what she's looking for based on her self awareness. Your self awareness is what it is: you need emotional connection to be the heart of the dance, not physical connection. That's a good way to be, I believe. But it requires self acceptance and acceptance of others being different as well. That what she needs right now isn't what you can offer and what she can offer isn't what you need can make you sad, but not letting it make you try to change yourself in order to fit her needs is what you're recognizing in yourself. That's a good recognition.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience: Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology helping with relationships
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I'm very glad that I was able to help you with this. I appreciate your positive rating and thank you so much for the bonus as well. If I can help you in the future in any way, please don't hesitate to let me know.

All the best,
Dr. Mark