TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues

My boyfriend and I have been dating for one year and have a

My boyfriend and I have been dating for one year and have a great relationship, but he has not said he loves me yet, ony that I mean the world to him. I am ready to say I love him, but do not want to say this if he does not say it back. I am very frustrated that he perhaps is not in love, but acts like he is. Please advise.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your problem.

It could be that your boyfriend is just as reluctant to say he loves you as you are to him. He may be fearful of getting hurt. Or he could have planned on saying it a long time ago, got scared then keeps putting it off. Or he could feel it is not necessary since he is with you and has told you he cares about you.

Because you want to connect to him by actually hearing him say the words, it might be helpful to ask him either indirectly or directly. He has said he thinks the world of you and he has been with you for a year. Both of those things say that he does care about you and probably loves you. What is stopping him from saying it is unclear, but just by giving him a little nudge, you could help him learn to express himself better.

You could start with something like, "How do you feel about me?". Or you could say "I've noticed you never tell me if you love me or not. What do you feel?" If you do it that way, you are not directly telling him that you love him and you are leaving on him to explain his feelings.

You could also try telling him you love him. That is a bit riskier, but it also gives you needed information. If he responds by saying he loves you, then you know. But if he doesn't respond or changes the topic, then you know there is an issue either with him or with the relationship. That means you need to talk to him further and see what is going on.

I hope this has helped you,