Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist

Ok, I am not in a relationship yet but I have been talking

Ok, I am not in a relationship yet but I have been talking to a girl and I think I like her. The problem is, I want a relationship that lasts for a while but not to the point where one of us gets hurt when one of us wants to move on. Like just a cute little relationship to get rid of that lonely feeling. I'm still young so I don't want a serious relationship. What can I do?
Hello. What makes you think that you will be in a relationship with this girl and it will turn out how you think it will, where one of you gets hurt and wants to move on?? It very well COULD work out that way. SHe could also be the greatest thing that ever happened to your life and you end up wanting to be together, or she may be a total nightmare to be with! You have done the right thing with telling her your objectives and goals for a relationship and yet she is still interested in you. Regardless of what you might think the relationship will end up like, you should let go of that and have an open mind, an open heart and go for it. You can't protect yourself from hurt in a relationship, the potential is always there. You can't be afraid of taking chances. That's how you find out if the person you are with IS worth a long term commitment or not. There is nothing wrong with not wanting a long term relationship. You stated that up front to her, so there is no false pretenses. You should go for it and see where it takes you.