Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

I am in relationship with a very abuse man for eight years

Customer Question

I am in relationship with a very abuse man for eight years and we are engaged. He has a business but I have no say. He started the company when we got together. He is quite successful but everytime we have an argument he throws me out with nothing. I have never left the house but I need to know if I have any rights so that I can start planning a new future.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 3 years ago.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I believe that I can help.

You may be qualified as a common law wife, depending on where you live. To be qualified for that you must live together for a certain amount of time (depending where you live), and "represent yourself" as man and wife.

In those states that accept common law marriages you are also entitled to receive the social security benefits of the deceased spouse.

If you live in Colorado, Montana, Oklahoma, Utah, Texas, Kansas, Iowa, Alabama, South Carolina, Rhode Island or the District of Columbia, you may have a common-law marriage for Social Security purposes, and this will remain valid even if you move to another state.

Check with an attorney if you qualify. If you not in one of those states then you probably have no rights.

Perhaps you can find an alternative means of making a living and start out fresh on your own. You have have to struggle, but you are paying a big price for your economic benefits and it may not be worthwhile to remain in this position for the rest of your life.

I wish you strength and wisdom and shall keep you in my prayers.

Warm regards,