Jean
Jean, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 20 plus years of experience in the field.
66147936

I currently have a "party line" addiction. Its basically a

I currently have a "party line" addiction. It's basically a chat line where you pay a time fee and talk with women that you can date, etc.

I've been on and off of these lines for the past few years, but the problem I'm having is that I've spent a few thousand dollars on them! I go on them at night when I feel alone or lonely.

I recently had a problem with being online too much, so i disconnected the internet from my place. I'm doing better with that now.

However, I can't disconnect my phone or throw it in the trash. Any tips on how to overcome this? Last year I spent over $1,000 on the dating phone chat line. I just get lonely and enjoy talking to women. Should I lock my phone in a lock box at night? Please help. Thanks

20pluscounts :

Hello, I am available to assist you

20pluscounts :

What you describe is another form of escape or "numbing"

20pluscounts :

You sound insightful in knowing what "feeds" this.

20pluscounts :

You get lonely and talking on the "party line" may fill this hole, albeit temporary- never quite feeling fulfilled. This compulsion is no unlike abusing alcohol, drugs, gambling, shopping... etc. There are many, and many people who struggle with compulsion and addiction. You are certainly not alone.

20pluscounts :

If only willpower worked, right? Similar to other compulsions one becomes powerless, overtaken by the compulsion/addiction. The first step in getting better is admitting, acknowledging there is a problem/concern.

20pluscounts :

It's also no uncommon that one switches compulsions- like you said going from the internet, cutting that off, and now over use on your phone.

20pluscounts :

Yes, you certainly can put your phone in a lock box, but again, this may be a temporary fix, and or you may find another way to feed this compulsion.

20pluscounts :

The key hear is for you to find support- healthy support that can aid you in further identifying the emotions underlying this compulsion.

20pluscounts :

Something to consider is to seek out a counselor who specializes in compulsion and addictions.

20pluscounts :

Hello, are you available for a live chat?

Customer:

Yes, hi. Sorry my connection disconnected.

20pluscounts :

Hello! One place to consider looking for support is through Hazelden Treatment Centers. You can check this out on Hazelden.org or calling 1-800-257-7810 Hazelden is a reputable and well known treatment resource for substance abuse and other addictions. They also have a good list of books.

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX notice the switching compulsions thing with me and I know it's unhealthy. I check out the site. Thanks for your help.