Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  Experienced in counseling all age persons on relationship issues.

Hello. Ill try to make this brief. Im a 38 yr old BEAUTIFUL

Customer Question

Hello. I'll try to make this brief. Im a 38 yr old BEAUTIFUL successful woman, living with a 50 yr old police ofcr. We have been dating for over 2 yrs. We each have personal struggles with fall over into the relationship. I recently discovered he was cheating, not only cheating but I discovered he was giving WOMEN money. When I confronted him he cried, shook, apologized to myself and my 13 yr old daughter repeatedly, and has basically shut down. He is withdrawn, quiet, irritated, and sleeps CONSTANTLY. I have made him go to the doctor and he is never missing. Shouldn't he be doing more to express his sorrow and guilt?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 11 months ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,

I am sorry you have gone through these difficult times in this relationship. I would say that his heartfelt apology and following through with doctor care (I am assuming you mean a psychiatrist or therapist) is a good start. But the ultimate gesture of his remorse is to have no contact with these women in any way. It sounds like he is depressed and so, may not be able to demonstrate much emotion at this time. If his actions are showing that he is able to refrain from the cheating behavior, that may be all you can expect. He is lucky to have you...a stable factor in his life. But treatment of his depression is very important to prevent seeking "excitement" in a cheating relationship. This could be a form of sexual addiction whereby he cheats as self-medication of his depression.

So, to answer your question, he may be doing all he can to show his remorse at this time. It may be helpful to attend a therapy session with him to let him know that you are needing more and have an open discussion about it with therapist to mediate.

I hope these thoughts are helpful...
Warn regards
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience: Experienced in counseling all age persons on relationship issues.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Please allow me to go on. He has a huge porn collection/addiction and seemed to be dependent on movies and/or oral sex for stimulation. He very rarely initiates sex. I sent him a text this morning to see if he wanted to hang out this evening, he ignored the text AFTER taking off work because I invited him to a party immediately after I found all this out. He told my daughter she would rcv her keys last Saturday and has not mentioned it since then. Whenever I try to talk to him, he is SILENT. I will say our relationship has been tumultuous and had finally began to level out, now this. And no when I mentioned doctor, I meant doctor for a checkup. He has refused to go to counseling. I will be going alone to address my own issues.

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The discovery of the cheating is only the culmination of other things that exist between us. He isn't a communicator, did I mention he's a 50 yr old policeman. He's never been married, never cohabitated. I moved in last year and he frustrated me so with some of the same behavior, I left. We stayed together and continued to work on us, and I returned. I am an alcohlic who JUST NOW decided to seel professional help. There are several issues here at play. I do not for a moment doubt his love for myself or my daughter, but he told me two things:there's nothing wrong with him, and he doesn't make mistakes. Did I mention he has slept in the bed with me all of twice in the past week. Even before the discovery of cheating intimacy, affection, emotional availability were difficult. I'm laying it all out there because I'm ready to make a decision.

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Im not his caretaker. We are in the same home but for the reasons you mentioned, there is little interaction. He's an outstanding provider and very stable and at THIS point that is attractive to me. I will get the counseling and get well and will probable have a totally different perspective on the entire situation once I am emotionally healthier. Maybe he will be motivated by my newfound happiness, but I doubt that he'll address any personal issues...I'm saddened by these developments. I truly feel God put us in eachother's paths. I too feel guilty because I have been verbally harsh and unforgiving, not to excuse his behavior, but I can see where he probably feels undervalued. Is there anything I can do to encourage counseling on his part?

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Excellent advice. Thank you very much. He just popped up with dinner from MY favorite place. Yes I'm confused and ill take my time
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Why doesn't he stay in the house with me? We are intimate at night and strangers in the morning. Long gone are the nicknames and calls. I don't understand why I feel like I'm being punished.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I see y you are the therapist! Yes I have a sensitivity to rejection. My mother was an addict and my father was absent.Whenever I ask him something he gets loud and angry and says all I do is repeat myself. So I acquiesce. He's gone to his brothers which I don't blv, I wasn't invited where before we were ALWAYS together. When I raised that issue just now he says that's all u ever say and we aren't going to ever n happy again. I am beginning to feel defeated. His nonverbal shows caring I guess. He asked how I was feeling, etc.. Bought me a paper, things like that. I had to ask for a hug to which he one armed me. I am feeling needy and pushy and it's just not a good feeling. I'm going to shut down just like I feel he has
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am not open to a trial separation with dating. My daughter lives here. School is about to start. It's too much inconsistency for her. I'm so determined to become sober and emotionally healthy I am almost having to constantly force thoughts of our relationship out ofy mind. I love him as a father figure for her, a strong force in my decision to stay. I trust him IMPLICITLY with her. It's clear to both of us that our relationship has bottomed. I don't know (secondary to becoming healthy) how to get us back on track. I asked God for a man n he is who appeared and I'm committed to this.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
First step has been made. I am in recovery
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well I contacted a substance abuse counselor and my assessment is Wednesday. I feel so optimistic about my recovery and getting back on track. The sad part, he doesn't even know. I know I can't control his behavior etc, I was merely trying to understand exactly what was driving his behavior, etc. My feelings are vacillating from happiness to self pity. As I write this I realize my issues are NOT our relationship but ME.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!