Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Hi, if i buy a property under my name and meet someone, live

Hi, if i buy a property under my name and meet someone, live with this person as a couple for let say 2 years, if there is separation will this person be in title to half of this property or more ?

Thank you in advance
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Unlike Australia, New Zealand has not codified its common law marriages.

To assure that you do not have any claims on each others real property, do not open a bank account together, and do not introduce her or call her your wife, and she should not do the same, in case there is a change in law in the future.

This could be used as evidence to prove that you have a common law marriage, which is apparently not recognized in NZ at present.

Warm regards,

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you kindly Elliot for answering my question, I was so focused on laws concerning relationship that i miss directed my question Smile

in a way i am glad i did now i know who to ask for my eventual questions related to my future relationship.

warm regards

Mathieu.

Thank you so much for your kind words, Mathieu.

I shall keep you in my prayers for a successful and happy relationship.

Warm regards,

Elliott