Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

My wife and I have been in the slow decline of our marriage

My wife and I have been in the slow decline of our marriage for several years. We have two children, a boy 12 and a daughter 9. We have now been separated for a year and are amicably working on a divorce agreement.
During the 2 years prior to the separation when we essentially were just roomates and then during the past 1 year of separation, we have done a good job focusing on our childrens needs. We have been able to take trips with them together, spend some holidays together, and have regular famiy dinners. My question is: Does this damage the children in any way? We are about to take a trip together this weekend, they know we are divorcing and know that we aren't connected in that way anymore. This is certainly far from the "old fashioned" way of dropping kids off at the doorstep and exchanging custody.

Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

This seems so much healthier and sane than the typical divorce with no contact, bad feelings, hostility, side-taking, and competititve parenting.

That you can remain friends and still parent your children is a much better way of making the family transition, and you are to be congratulated for your approach which is much more than civil; it is impressively mature and unusual, and is probably a great subject for a book.

Congratulations and kudos for your wonderful example of constructive divorce and exceptional parenting.

I shall keep your family in my remembrances and in my prayers for great success.

Warm regards,