Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist
15718554

I am a year sober after a 15 year battle with alcoholism that

I am a year sober after a 15 year battle with alcoholism that almost killed me. My husband sought anger management at one point and he no longer hits but screams, breaks things, and name calls. He used to choke me when I was drunk and hit me too because nobody believed me when I was drunk. He actually pt his hands on my neck during a fight like he was going to choke but he stopped the second I told him I would call the cops. I have been terrified of him since that happened a couple of days ago, a simple conversation makes my heart start pounding. I have no money, no car, 3 kids, and nowhere to go
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 1 year ago.
First of all, congratulations on your year sober. It is a commendable achievement. Secondly, do not feel as though you have nowhere to go. There are resources available to you, you just need to seek them out in your local area. I don't know where you are from, but in the US, a lot of cities offer a 211 service and other phone numbers to call for domestic violence. You CAN get out and you should. Your husband should never ever be acting this way, especially with 3 kids involved. You cannot and should not be terrified of the person that is supposed to be your best friend and who is supposed to love you. A lot of men who treat their wives and girlfriends this way do so because they think that you won't or can't do anything about it. He knows you feel s though you have nowhere to go, so why should he stop? You need to get proactive and start seeking some help in your area. There are domestic shelters and other programs set up to help people who are in the situation that you are in. You need to get yourself and the kids especially away from that situation as soon as possible. Also, look to any friends or family members you may have who can help. There is no shame in asking for help, especially when children are involved.
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience: Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist