Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I started a relationship with a man last October, who was separated

Customer Question

I started a relationship with a man last October, who was separated and finalizing his divorce. After his ex found out he had moved on, she blamed me for their divorce and have told their children that he was cheating, even though she was the one who filed for divorce in 2011. After trying to salvage the marriage, he moved out in June 2012. We began spending time together in October 2012. Which is quite fast, being that he just moved out in June of the same year, but that is what happened. At the time, I did not realize how long it would take to finalize the divorce. I also didn't understand that for the children, he had just moved out four months before we began spending time together.

Their mother tells the children, that we are having an affair despite the fact that they live separately. So, now their daughters refuse to spend time with their father. They have told him that if he broke it off with me they would spend time with him.

Now that we are at this point and the divorce was just finalized. How can we continue the relationship and be fair to the children. We have talked about the weeks he has the children, I stay in my own place for one year. So, they do not feel as though they are being forced to get to know me or include me or my son. After that first year, we would like to start to plan activities for all of us to be included. I know it is a work in progress and will take much time. But, we do not know what else to do. If I am around, they refuse to spend time with their father. They say that I ruined their lives.

Already Tried:
I have tried to help their father with planning dinner and spending time together. But, when they find out I am involved they just close off completely, even if I am not there. Even if I just help make dinner and leave or help pick out a gift for them with him, they do not want to be a part of it. We have been able to spend time with his youngest daughter 6 years old for a couple hours, but that stopped to. Everything has backfired. They now say horrible things about me.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.