Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist

I was (am?) in a relationship with a Muslim man. We have known

I was (am?) in a relationship with a Muslim man. We have known each other for two years and were together for a year. During that period we had our ups and downs. Most importantly, I had three pregnancies with him: first one I aborted as he stated he is not ready to be a ftaher. That was a devastating experience for me and I guess for him too. His complaint was that I changed after that. Two other pregnancies I miscarried, last one being in the 12th week and it happened only few weeks ago. It is Ramadan now and my boyfriend has been acting very strange: since my miscarriage he has been very irritable with me, short, abrupt and it all escalated to the point whereby if I tried talking to him he would put the phone down on me (not answering when I triedn to call him back), he has not texted me and in terms of emails: he got angry when I expressed my feelings. We have been planning to move away: I was promoted recenyl and since then he has been acting distant, he moved in with his friends (I do not know where that is), he is fasting and working (apparently 12hrs shift). Every time I bring the subject of us moving away together he finds a reason why that won't be possible now whereas I personally see no barriers. I believe he has decided that he has been punished by Allah for his sin (being with me) hence my miscarriages because he started to criticise the way I dress, who I see, how I live my life etc. He accused me of leading him down the sinful path. All this hurts very much because I love him and I am unable to reason with him because I do not follow his religious beliefs. He refused to see me during Ramadan (I guess he is repenting, washing himself of all sins through fasting etc), and when we spoke on a phone he was very irritable when I asked can I see him. I gave him a bit of space and then he came to see me twice and it all started well but ended again on an irritable note. I tried to keep in touch with him via emails, letting him know what I am doing and I mentioned I am meeting an old work colleague of mine after work for catch up as I am moving now to another area. He then emailed me to say that he hopes I will have a good time and sent me a link to a song 'When I was your man'. I love him and this hurts, why send me this link and waht does it mean? If it emans he has ended our relationship this way for this reason I am lost for words. Anyhwo, I am moving away and since he sent me that link I have not been in touch (I did email him to explain that the meeting was not romantic but I did not receive a reply. So I left it. Do I try to contact him before I leave or shall I leave it to him to get in touch when/ if he wants to? Im not sure if his feelings have changed or is he tired from fasting and working long shifts or ...
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Karin Samms replied 11 months ago.
Hi there, welcome to Just Answer. I will try and help you with your question.

Firstly, I'd like to say I'm very sorry to hear that you had to experience such traumatic times with all three pregnancies - this must and cannot have been easy for you. You must still be in a grieving process for this alone, you're putting yourself through so much right now so clearly you have an inner strength that is allowing you to move forward.

Secondly, he sounds very much like he's reflecting, repenting and working out what is most important to him. His recent detachment from you is part of this and yes, he sounds like he's letting go. I'm aware of many people from the Islamic faith, who do become fairly isolated, quiet and keep to themselves during the period of Ramadan, and perhaps this might be part of his distance but I don't believe it is all of it. He has underlying issues with your relationship and unless you can get him to communicate this with you, unfortunately you may have to leave it be.

Contacting him once more isn't going to make a huge difference in these circumstances so think about whether you need to be thinking about you right now and your future.

You deserve to be happy and currently I can imagine you're going through a form of grieving over the loss of yet another pregnancy.

Sending you this link is possibly his way of maintaining some form of connection with you, but as they say, 'he can't have his cake and eat it' - he can't be trying to maintain contact with you yet say that you've led him down a 'sinful path'. You have nothing to be ashamed of yet he elicits this in you.

You need to decide whether you want to continue as you are or to move on with your life. Until you make this decision you will be connected to this man emotionally and won't be able to move on and live your own life. If you were to contact him, perhaps it could be simply to say "I'm leaving, thought I'd show you the courtesy in letting you know." If you choose to leave it and move, then he also has been sent a clear message that you will not be walked over and made to feel like the bad guy in all of this.

You have done all that you can to try and make the relationship work, of course, after experiencing an abortion, your emotions and thoughts and even your behaviour might be somewhat different but he needed to have been there for you too.

You are entitled to be yourself, to have your own faith or no faith, to believe or not to believe in any form of religion. This may not sit well with him. He is currently in a very religious place during Ramadan yet, he's giving you little hope and communication.

My experience would tell me that you would need to move on and live your life, however when you're in love with someone it doesn't always work out this way, so please be careful and choose wisely what direction you decide to take.

I do hope this is helping, please do come back to me for further assistance and support if you need it, I'd rather support you as much as possible and receive a positive rating and I'd be more than happy to continue supporting you until you feel satisfied.
------------
If I have answered your question, kindly rate my service positively before you leave the site so I may be credited for my time. If you choose to rate me anything less than positive, please do come back to me and I will clarify further or support your query further. Your question will not close and I will continue to support your question.
Bonuses are always appreciated.

Kindest Regards, Karin
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you so much for your reply. It confirms my thoughts and feelings. I am going through a lot and would love to have his support and spend time with him - it feels less lonely then. When I am alone and without him I do miss my pregnancies/ babies very much and cry. O nthe other hand I too aprreciate this time, opportunity to be by myself and reflect. As much as I was happy with him I have been thoruhg a lot of pain and now I am on my own whilst he is with Allah. I must admit that I am angry sometimes. I would love to see him before I go but really I feel he has shut me out and I am tired of feeling as if I am 'dirty'. New job and move will be a new start for me I feel and I shall also have counselling to help me deal with all I have been through. I am angry that apparently he is so religios yet lacks compassion. i love him but I feel that he is almost unable to love me because of his religious beliefs. Why then start a relationship? Why he has not thought about all this before? Anyhow .. I am going off on a tangen. I tried to explain - in a peacful manner because I do love him and care for him very much - that it seems to me he is pushing me away and wants to end the relationship. He was/ is just silen, if he is in a mood he tells me all the things he believes I want to hear but ... I think I will just move without saying anything. Ramadan finishes on the 8th of August, I shall be then away and I do not want to see him and cause myselfmore pain. Sad thing is that last time he came to see me I gave him a little present, a token of appreciation for him and a cute card with a loving message. i was hurt that he looked at it all sad and I could not understand why? I thought he'd be pleased. I bought him a leaving present, a collection of CD from David Attenborough as he likes his programmes but he has disappeared so if I were to leave it for him I have no idea where/ how as I do not know where he is. Him sending me the link to Bruno Mars 'When I was your man' really hurts and also offends me. I am trying to o the right thing but I also feel I need to do the right thing for me and spare myself more pain. I love him though so why he doesn't want to see it?

Hi B,

I am pleased that we're on the same thoughts here.
You do need to move on and a new job and new start is exactly what will allow you space to move forward and begin to feel confident and build up your self esteem and self worth. He has, to some degree taken this away from you.

You are by no means 'dirty' and you are grieving, so counselling would be a very positive move.

Don't worry about the leaving present, give it to charity or perhaps a mutual friend. Ramadan is about compassion, and understanding others' pain and hard lives. Donating to charity might be a way for you to draw a line under your relationship with this man.

You are right to feel angry; this is a normal reaction to what you've had to experience of late.

Take good care of you and surround yourself with people that care for you, make you laugh and give you nothing but positive messages - and if there are few who can do this at present - begin by establishing new support networks in your new area, join groups locally, get involved with interesting things locally and get yourself out there, don't shy away and feel 'dirty' or not worthy. You ARE worthy and deserving of happiness - perhaps its just not possible with this man. My absolute best to you.

Bonuses are always appreciated.

Kindest Regards, Karin
Karin Samms, Counselor
Experience: with over 15 years experience offering support with relationship, mental health & addiction issues
Hi B,

Thank you for rating my service positively and for the bonus, it is very much appreciated.

Please do let me know if I can be of further help in the future, if you have new questions and would like to return to me, please open a new page and ask your question, please ensure you add "For Karin" at the start of your question and I will do my very best to help and support you.

Take care, my best wishes to you and good luck for your future!

Karin :)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Karin

Thank you for your assistance. It has been a bout a week since I last heard from my boyfriend. I have given him space and not contacted him. I am going to be leaving in few days time, Ramadan won't be over still. You mentioned that if I cannot get him communicate his issues with me/ relationship than I will have to let go. The question is how do I try to communicate his issues with me? I am afraid that if I do not contact him, he may feel the same way as I do: I want him to contact me to show he cares. Am I naive in thinking he may feel the same? If I leave without saying anything to me that is not very decent thing to do. On the other hand I do not wish to disturb him during Ramadan. In your opinion, if I decide to contact him what do you believe would be the best time to do that, what method and what is the best thing to say? I do love him and I wish we could try to make this work. I am being cautious at the same time and do not want to come across as the person that has no boundaries. Thanks.

Hi there B,

Thank you for your follow up question, I will try and assist you.

It seems that you don't want to feel as though you haven't done all that you possibly can to try and ensure you've communicated with him. The problem is he has not really responded to you and this is the issue - how can you force him to do this and communicate with you? I'm not sure it is possible. However, if you felt you really needed some form of closure or even clarity, the only way would be to try and email him and let him know that you are leaving and if he wishes to contact you in the near foreseeable future you would respond, however if he chooses to not contact you again, that you would assume he was not interested anymore and that you wouldn't continue to pursue the matter anymore with him.

Don't forget, you talked about moving on and moving forward with your life. You might have to accept that his behaviours and actions to date are not convincing of someone who wants to be in a relationship or be committed to anyone and are quite erratic. I don't believe you are naive but I do believe you're holding onto hope, no-one can blame you for this, but please be honest with yourself about what are your realistic options and separate out what is hopeful thinking.

Based on what you've said, the best time to contact him would be after Eid has come and gone, he will be more available - emotionally and mentally to discuss things with you, if he wished to do so.

Sending an email after Eid, saying something on the lines of the above, would suffice- and then you need to stop and wait- this is how you hold your boundaries. My best to you, B, good luck with your move too.

If I have answered your question, kindly rate my service positively before you leave the site so I may be credited for my time. If you choose to rate me anything less than positive, please do come back to me and I will clarify further or support your query further. Your question will not close and I will continue to support your question. Bonuses are always appreciated.

Kindest Regards, Karin

Karin Samms, Counselor
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Hello Karin, since I last emailed you about my relationship a lot has happened. He contacted me just before I was leaving, however, was offended that I wasn't going to contact him. I explained that I was giving him space to enjoy Ramadan and celebrate Eid. All seemed pretty ok for a while: he was supposed to move with me but told me he was not ready just yet and that he was saving money to buy a car, house etc and working really hard for us. I started a new job, was settling and thought Ill see how it all goes. We had our ups and downs: him disappearing, being moody, telling me I am not a woman for him then when I distance myself he would apologise or be hurt I distanced myself .... I think he is afraid of making a committment yet puts the blame on me. He seems to be under pressure but Im not sure if it is because of me. He is not happy with my new job, he tells me he wants to be my number one but he is not even around. Once he visited and I had to deal with an emergency and he took offence. When we make plans it is always last minute , according to his feelings. He tells me he is tired, busy ... I told him I was letting go of us - because it all became too erratic and exhausting - and then contacted him again and since then he has been extremely strange. For example, he came to visit and wanted to be physically close but I wanted us to wait. He got angry, told me not to tell him ever again that I miss him, pushed me away aggressively and shut himself in the bathroom. I left to give him space, when I returned I asked can we start again and all was ok. However, he could not forgive me, kept mentioning I rejected him, apologised for pushing me away but said it is because I upset him. He was giving me a cold shoulder and told me we are not making love, that we are just having sex. Two weeks ago we met again and all was ok on Saturday. On Sunday he told me he was working and made plans during the day. He did not have to work and as |I carried on with my plans he was offended. He never said but I could tell: we went out for dinner and he did not make a slightest suggestion to pay (he usually if not always pays), he did not want to be physically close saying he is tired which is ok but it made me feel he was playing game. He checked my mobile and he also told me that because I am going away for Christmas/ New Year away that he will not be in touch with me as he needs to get used to the fact that I wont be around. He also told me very hurtful things since I initiated the break up: that he does not want to have children, if I have a child that he will leave because I will love the child more than him, than he has to support his family back home, accused me of using him for physical pleasure and would I leave him if he couldnt perform? It has all turned into a huge mess and I do not know where are all his statements, accusations coming from. He stopped communicating with me maybe three weeks ago. I emailed him twice to say 'Hi' and keep some communication going but no reply from him. He told me a while ago: after I agreed that we spend festive period together that I should just go away as planned, that he loves me and wants the best for me and when I come back we shall see what happens. I asked him what does he mean and he told me that he doesnt know how will I change, who am I going to be when I come back. I appreciate Karin that I hurt him by saying I was letting go of our relationship and that it made him feel unloved. However, it all came after I felt neglected by him although to that he said that he is working, he is tired, that everybody wants something from him but nobody cares about him .... It feels as if we are talking different languages. I do love him but our relationship cannot function as it is. He told me he doesnt want to talk, defending himself all the time, that he just wants to relax. Iam giving him space but I feel he has left me. He apologised for hurting me, for all the wrongs he has done and that said that I should not let anybody hurt. I feel we are both struggling but in a different way and for different reasons. I love him and am not sure if he loves me. Id like to believe it but with everything else I dont. He even tells me himself that he knows that I do not believe that he loves me. I do not know hat to do for the best. I sent him a couple of emails: no reply. I do not want to call because Im afraid he wont pick up or who knows what he will say and I will end up hurt even more. Thanks.

Expert:  Karin Samms replied 7 months ago.
Hi there B,

I'm sorry it's taken a while to come back to you. I have been in meetings all day and noticed you had written but I wanted to take the time in reading through your response thoroughly and give you a thorough and informed response.

I have spent some time reading through the past responses too and I believe communication has most definitely broken down. He doesn't really understand your needs and you've both been going round in circles. In my previous responses my thoughts on your circumstances were relating to you moving on with your life - I believe this still holds true. He seems to not understand where you are coming from and what you would have worked towards - together. He sees 'pressure on him', his 'family' and his 'other commitments' - they all seem to take precedence over you. He says he's working towards a future together - but I don't see this being demonstrated - emotionally nor physically.

Part of my observation and interpretation of your response makes me wonder whether he is deliberately shutting you out because HE believes he cannot live up to your expectations or perhaps his own expectations of how he should be around you. However, despite all of this, how much longer are you prepared to wait for him to see sense and see how much you love him?

You are right in your intuition and it truly is time to trust your instinct and start to find a way a let go. Unless he meets you half way there is no 'relationship,' just a lot of uncertainties for you, heartache and pain and with your history of losses, it feels like you've had your fair share of pain... Mind games need to be stopped and the only way this can happen is if you don't play the game. Like I said before, you deserve to allow yourself to be happy - this can only happen if you let go of the negativity that resides in your life.

Trust in you and trust in your future. Be strong and make a decision that you can stick to, sometimes such decisions can be excruciatingly hard, but it will get easier.

B, I do hope this is helping, please come back to me for further assistance and support if you need it, I'd rather support you as much as possible and receive a positive rating and I'd be more than happy to continue supporting you until you feel satisfied.
----------

Kindest Regards, Karin
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thank you Karin, I actually spoke to him today. I feel more at peace, its not nice to be ignored. He also expressed how he feels about our losses, it is sad for both of us. He is in denial that abortion was meant to be but my opinion is that we made it happen, we made that decision. Ultimately I did. I hope that if we part it will be with acceptance, recognition that we did love each other, share some of the journey in our life together and wish wish each other all the best. I am not sure where will all lead, I need and want to focus more on myself. Not enabling him to play games and challenge him, highlight it. We talked about love, he brought it up and said that love is selfish. I stated that I do not think it is, love is generous, wanting the best for the other person, wanting them to be happy and helping them be the best they can be. I love him, whether we can be together I do not know. I do not wish to force. Its good we are talking.

B, you already sound more clear about what it is you need to work towards, so good for you :)
You're right, love is about generosity and selfless behaviour and about wanting to make the other happy.

You have to find this for you. Time will tell but it feels you are on the right lines in your thinking and sound as though you hope for a non-confrontational interaction for when and how you close this chapter in your life.

If he is unable to process your actions and decisions you have ultimately made, where do you really go from here then? It's time to let go and to not be made to feel guilty for things that were difficult in the first instance.

I hope I have provided you with some space for reflection, clarity and perhaps helped facilitate some kind of shift in your thought process.

My best to you B, please look after yourself.
Kindest regards,
Karin
Karin Samms, Counselor
Thank you for the positive rating.
Best wishes,
Karin
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Dear Karin, I thought all was pretty ok, that I was on a right track with my boyfriend, managed to open a channel of communication. Last night I called him and he sounded completely different. We started to talk and he was angry, actually quiet vicious: I did not recognise him. I even wondered if he was drinking and he never drinks. He told me that we have no future, that I never forgave him the abortion, cannot move on and that I have only myself to blame for everything. He told me that I cannot relax and that is why I cannot get pregnant. He told me he loves me but doesnt want to see me and questioned why I want to be with him because all he does is lie, complain ... he told me Im an angel and should be with another angel. I told him he told me he loves me and that in January which is only weeks away he will move to live with me. He told me he lied. I post-poned my holiday so that we can spend festive period together and he told me that Im dead to him, that he doesnt want to be the second choice and that even if Im around he wont be with me. He told me Christmas is my holiday, he wanted to spend it with me but it is not his holiday anymore (he is a Muslim). Karin, I sent him an email and told him I love him and am here for him. He helped me on many occassions when I was hurting and feeling down. I thought that maybe I undermined the way he is feeling about everything. I do not know if he is lashing out at me, if it is his cry for help or if he really hates me. I know it doesnt sound good in terms of a relationship but ... I just do not know what to think. Maybe I forgot all about him in my grief, maybe he too struggled with everything. You see, after we spoke the other day I was so happy and felt it is time to let go. I emailed him a thank you appreciation letter for all the things/ reasons I love him. As a result I got this reaction. I dont understand why. He told me he did not respond because he knows I was lying. Karin, I suspect he is feeling guilty. As I had few miscarriages that too is making him feel awful. He is trying to hurt me to push me away. This is what I see is happening. I belive that together we can work through this and it will make us stronger. I feel running away is preferred way. I emailed him to say I am here for him and I now wait for him? If I do not hear from him Ill need to accept it is over. I told him i lost everything, his love, our child ... and he told me I chose to feel that way. he was extremely cold-hearted.Yet, he did call me back few times as we got disconnected and said well talk tomorrow. ill leave it all to him. Not sure how and when I wil ever recover from this. thanks.

Hi B,

I’m sorry to hear that he has reacted in this way. You must decide one way or another what your next step will be and stick to it. If you feel he is feeling guilty and pushing you away, tell him this in an email. All you can do is ask for some communication and if you don’t get it, what are you meant to do, wait forever for him? What if he never changes his mind, is he allowed to continue hurting you and leaving you in pain like this forever? I appreciate and can understand that perhaps there are feelings of guilt there for him but he is not going about this the right way, the way someone who loves another would under normal circumstances.

You may want to consider counselling and perhaps if he was willing, even couple counselling. But he sounds far too angry and not in a place that I believe he would seriously consider couple counselling.

He may well be lashing out at you but you need to stay focused and find a way to move on.

He is responding in such a mixed way, that I acknowledge makes it very hard for you, but you will keep going round and round in circles if you don’t find a way to stop.
Grief can do strange things to us, the process of loss is a very complex one but ultimately you need to decide which way to turn now B, the ball is in your court and yes, you will recover from this, but because you both share so much history it makes it that it harder to simply walk away.

---------

Kindest Regards, Karin

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi Karin, the reason I am writing is really in hope to let go of some hurt and not for advice. I made a decision to let go of my relationship with the man I wrote about. I gave my all and there's no way for me/ us to go. We try I think but we struggle. I think deep down we both feel lonely, we both would want our relationship to feel right however we both know something crucial is missing for both of us to make it work. He was angry with me for going away as he wanted to spend Christmas with me and accused me of being his second choice. I post-poned my holiday but he was still angry and told me I am dead to him etc. I kept in contact with him as I felt he was hurting and I thought by being there for him he will feel reassured and secure in our relationship. Whilst I kept in touch with him I started to move on emotionally and evaluate our relationship/ future. I focused on getting better and enjoying life: I joined a gym, started to excercise regularly, I have been reading a lot, focused on my work and find a house. Once I felt confident and strong I suggested we meet for a drink as I was in his town through work. He sounded happy and suggested he travels back with me to my town/ place. We went out for a meal and I agreed he travels back with me although with a reserve. I was afraid if I say no he will be disappointed plus I thought it might be nice to spend some time together. To sum it all up, he did open up or it seemed that way and told me he is difficult to live with, that he is very sensitive, gets angry easily etc. The weekend was not very good because he felt I was not happy enough to see him. I said that after everything he told me, he hurt me and it is difficult to just bounce back. Saturday we wnet out for a meal but he started to complain that he feels uncomfortable because he was the only person in a restaurant. I suggested we go and we left. Earlier that day I drove us to a little, quaint village and he wouldnt leave the car saying there are no black people in that village and he feels his life is in danger. Sunday he got angry with me because he told me he was worried about his family, that they are notable to survive without his support. I appreciate his culture is different to mine yet I said that his siblings are not his children, that his mum has a husband and that I do not feel it is right all the responsibility is on his shoulders. To that he got extremely angry - quietly - and soon after got on a phone to his family, friends and being in his own world. He decided to travel back so I saw him off at the station. I told him I wish he didnt have to leave and he told me he wishes the same. Train arrived, he told me to take care and jumped on the train even though the train wasnt to leave for another 15mins or so. I too walked away without looking back. I was hurt and exasperated. We havent talked since then and I made a decision not to contact him anymore. I should have been patient, calm and lady like however this was a last straw and I am afraid I lost my tolerance. I feel he is constantly criticising, nothing is ever good enough, he just sits back and judges. I am afraid we are both angry, hurt as neither mine nor his expectations are being met. I am prepared to communicate but he believes it is a waste of time. He insists we should be free to do as we wish, go with our feelings. If I compromise, do something for him and/ or our relationship he gets angry. Our relationship has become a mine field. I do not know where it went wrong and I should have let go long time ago. We are both grieving what we lost and that includes each other I think. Sad.

Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 6 months ago.
Hello. I'm sorry your relationship has gotten to this point. Sometimes, it is better to walk away or at the very least, take some time apart. If he feels it is a waste of time to even communicate, your answer lies there. Perhaps in some time, he will feel differently and at least be able to talk with you about what happened and how to fix it, if it can be fixed. It is possible with the miscarriages and other issues you both have been through, it is too much and there is so much distance between you that it cannot be repaired. Only time will tell this and maybe even some counseling if you are open to that.
If the different culture and his problems with certain public situations are a concern, do you see this changing any time soon and if not, would you be able to continue to deal with this? There are many things to weigh as far as pros and cons and you need to think about this, although it sounds as though you have. You just need to be as positive as you can about this and try to move forward. Time will give you some clarity and help you heal.
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience: Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist