Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  Experienced in counseling all age persons on relationship issues.
37122071

Why am I so angry all the time? I have resentments from my

Why am I so angry all the time? I have resentments from my childhood about the way my father would talk to me and my mother and I felt powerless to do anything about it. But I'm angry all the time. I actually spend a lot of time thinking of the best ways to hurt people would might, would, or have hurt me. A girl I got along well with until recently refuses to see me, hear from me or speak to me at all because I insulted her and won't come back to the church she went to her entire life because I work there. I am very, very big on respect. I don't really care if most people like me or not, but they must respect me, at least to my face.
Hello and thank you for being a loyal JA customer,
I am hoping I can help you today.

You are wondering about your anger and you immediately have thought of resentment about your childhood and your parents treatment of you. The fact that your thoughts also are about ways to hurt other is a sign that this is a serious problem and I am sure it is uncomfortable to you.

These symptoms are signs of depression. Even if you don't necessarily feel sad on the surface, the anger is a sign of repressed (or unconscious) hurt and pain beneath. This depression is probably linked to your feelings of emotional abandonment by your parents. Some people will further suppress these uncomfortable feeling in unhealthy ways through self-medication (drugs or alcohol or other addiction). I hope you don't have this struggle.

The best thing for you to do is talk this over with your primary doctor. Your doctor may recommend treatment (therapy and medication). If you do not have a primary doctor, you can choose a therapist from one of these websites:
http://www.findapsychologist.org/
http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_search.php

Talking to a therapist will help you to reframe your thinking and help to reduce those negative and uncomfortable thoughts. This will be necessary in order to improve your relationships as your anger may be getting in the way.

I hope this helps and warm regards,