Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

How do I stop a friendship from breaking up. He told me to

Customer Question

How do I stop a friendship from breaking up. He told me to leave his house, he made a mistake for letting me in. He told me he doesn't care, and that we aren't friends. I knew this Guy for years but never really hung out. Recently we started interacting more and I asked him if I can stay by him for three months. He said yes so I left my old place which I needed to leave. He went to California for a week and came.back foreplay me I need to find a different place and his landlord who lived above him and is religious didn't want men and women living together in his basement. I had nowhere to go and had to hide from the landlord. My friend didn't like it, but we spoke often and got physical once. It wasn't planned and I don't want to in the beginning but when I did, he didn't really want. He told me lots about him etc so his attitude really hurts me. I had nowhere to go so continued to stay byhim while trying to find a place. He helped me at the end but also said that's it, leave and to. Don't want to know you, don't need you in my life, want to live alone and then just all of that. I care about this Guy. I can't imagine not speaking and being out of each others lives. I want to save this, I know he is recovering from heroin and goes to methadone clinic . He took me there. He showed me around. He let me into his life and I tried to be supportive and loving even though my circumstances sucked. I Winters to save this. What do I do?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 3 years ago.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I believe that I can help.

You are in a very difficult situation because you are dependent on this man for a roof over your head, and he wants to throw you out of his home.

You are very attached to this man but he does not have much feeling or concern for you. Perhaps taking the methadone is making him depressed. It has this affect on some people and he may be one of them.

Whatever the reason for his moods and behavior is nor really relevant to your situation and you will have to find someplace else to live and some other way to make a living if you do not have one now.

If you do have an income then you should try to find a place to stay - something that you can afford. You might find someone who needs a roommate or you might find an elderly person who wants someone to live in with him or her and take care of him/her in exchange for room and board.

This man has made it clear that he does not want you and shows little kindness towards you. I do not think that you can save this relationship and can probably find someone with more of a future then on a recovering heroin addict still in treatment.

I wish you the wisdom, courage, and perseverance to start looking for a better situation then you have now. If not, you may find yourself on the street and that will make finding a place or position a lot harder for you.

To this end I shall keep you in my prayers.

Warm regards,