Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

I am a 23 year old gay male who find himself emotionally retarded

I am a 23 year old gay male who find himself emotionally retarded when it comes to dating. I recently went out on a first date with a guy whom I came to like very much instantly and a second date was agreed upon (on my birthday by the way). However on the next day when I mms him he hasn't responded to my mms and now will have to spend my birthday alone and what makes me upset is that I am really hurt. I tend to over fantasize things, he's so handsome and independent too. Please help me, I think I may be a clingy type...
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I believe that I can help.

There is nothing wrong with feeling hurt and being disappointed. We are particularly vulnerable on our birthday.

I spent mine alone, last week, and made the best of it by treating myself to a good meal.

Let me recommend a great workbook that will help you restore your self-confidence and make it easier on future dates:

Product Details

Self-Esteem: A Proven Program of Cognitive Techniques for Assessing, Improving, and Maintaining Your Self-Esteem... by Matthew McKay and Patrick Fanning

You are young and you are learning. Get some great support and understanding from these two brilliant therapists and writers.

Happy birthday and know that you are growing and learning. Turn this lemon into lemonade.

I shall keep you in my prayers.

Warm regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I'm struggling I will admit. It feels like I lost a lover I never got a chance to know.

Dear Bylli,

Don't cry over something you really didn't lose. You never had it. Try not to be dramatic and give it more importance than it deserves.

Go out and have a good time tonight or on your birthday or both.

Get the books and learn to change your approach. It will change your life. You obviously have the intelligence to change things but you have to focus on moving forward and forget about this.

I hope that I have helped. I shall continue to keep you in my prayers.

Warm regards,