Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  Experienced in counseling all age persons on relationship issues.

I,m 54 years old man, and in love with a 22 year old woman.

I,m 54 years old man, and in love with a 22 year old woman. I don't know how to handle it, didn't think this would ever happen to me. We are very good friends, but I am the one in love. Am I being a silly old fool, or does such an age gap work. Would it hurt to pursue such an idea, if of course she was interested.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,
There are many examples of relationships with age difference working. So we can never say never. The risk would be the difference in developmental goals. Yours are probably thinking about preparing for a comfortable retirement and hers are to build a family (have babies) and/or her career. The question to ask is "Can these goals be compatible?" If you are not able to allow her to gain her life goals, then, while the relationship might work at first, she may eventually regret being held back. These bigger issues would need to be dealt with up front before a meaningful relationship could be attained. Just being in love is not enough.

I hope this helps.....