Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

I need help deciding whether to continue a 3-year relationship

I need help deciding whether to continue a 3-year relationship with my bf. I feel like he doesn't take much leadership in the relationship, and he doesn't command much respect from me. I feel like he is not as ambitious as I am (yet he is a cardiologist), I am so torn. Please help.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective

Dear friend,

I believe that I can help.

Being academically and scientifically brilliant does not go hand in hand with maturity or emotional intelligence. In fact, being socially slow might have been a stimulus for your boyfriend to immerse himself in studies and excel.

He is content with his achievements and is now coasting, or so it seems, while you are still growing and advancing yourself.

On the one hand you have a potentially successful, esteemed, and wealthy partner if you want him.

On the other hand, he is not the man that excites you or that you can live up to. You will not be happy with him in the long run, and probably will not change him.

If success has not altered his personality for the better at this stage of his career, than the chances for change are not very promising.

You may feel torn because in some ways he is "everything" many women would want. In the final analysis, however, you really do not care that much for you and he is a constant disappointment.

Because you are ambitious, you will never be satisfied with him and you should carefully consider whether or not you wish to continue this relationship.

I wish you great wisdom and courage in making your decision.

Warm regards,