TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues

Hi. This is a combination "relationship" and "etiquette

Hi. This is a combination "relationship" and "etiquette" question. I've been working at the family business for the past few summers. Within the past two years, some rumors were spread about me. Most people who work there believe those rumors and won't even give me a chance. "Pouring the honey" doesn't work either. Not many people will even say "Hi" to me, and some people pretend that I don't even exist. My family won't do anything about it, and I am seen as a problem.

I'm in the twenty-something age group. In this bad economy, I should be thankful that I even have a job. But, should I continue to work at a job where I'm completely miserable every time I go to work? Do I leave the family business and work somewhere else?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like the atmosphere at your family workplace has become poisonous. Usually, when something like this happens, it is being allowed by the managers or whoever is in charge. The attitudes of a workplace often trickle down from whoever is in charge. And if that is your family and they are not protecting you, that is not a good sign.

Although being thankful for just having a job is a good thing, being bullied at work can offset that advantage. When you start to dread going to work or feel tense about your job, it can affect you emotionally. People who experience bullying at work often develop anxiety and depression which affects their life outside of work as well.

It might be a good idea to try to talk to your family again, just to see if they might change their minds about helping you. If not, you can try talking to a friend at work to see if they can help you offset the rumors. But if those things are not possible, you might want to consider looking for a new job. Work is a large part of your life and being miserable at your job any longer is not worth it.

I hope this has helped you,
I hope my answer helped you. It is almost always better to try to take care of yourself first, especially if things are so bad they are bothering you.

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What kinds of things can I do to take care of myself?

If you mean the previous post I left, I meant in terms of putting yourself first and taking care of yourself by getting out of your current job.

If you mean in general, it would be helpful to be good to yourself for a while to help you cope with the situation. Getting away on a short vacation, talking to friends for support even a massage can help you feel more relaxed. Anything you feel would reduce your stress.