Dear Debra
Dear Debra, Advice Columnist
Experience:  I have been an Advice columnist for 14 years. My column is published weekly in local newpapers.
57081136

I handed in a paper to a professor I was rushing to get done

I handed in a paper to a professor I was rushing to get done on Monday. The citations were the very last thing I was working on when he e-mailed me and told me to submit the paper to him, that the deadline had passed. Looking at it now, I see there are about 2 citations of material that I left out and which are unattributed. I am looking to do as well as I possible can on the paper (it is 100% of the class grade) and so I don't want him to look at paper thinking the references are pretty thin, or even worse, that I plagiarized it. Should I e-mail him the paper with the citations in it? Or should I just leave it be?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dear Debra replied 1 year ago.

Deardebra :

Thank you for your question. You should e-mail him the paper with the citations and tell the professor that you e-mailed the wrong thing they are very understanding when it comes to things like this because people make many mistakes when they e-mail thinks. Some times files get messed up or the wrong file when over. So you should e-mail the correct paper because it is very important that you get a top grade.

Deardebra :

The professor will understand they know mistakes happen. You want to give the professor your best work.

Customer:

Yes, I don't want him to think that I intentionally left out citations and submitted work as my own that wasn't my own.

Customer:

the thing is, he is in australia, and they are one day ahead of us. I had told him I would submit the paper by midnight on June 10th, but before that, in the afternoon, he e-mailed me saying the deadline "had well and truly passed."

Customer:

And that I should please e-mail him the paper, and that waiting longer it would get harder to complete

Customer:

so I don't want to push my luck by submitting a revision, even if it's only a couple of citations, 5 days later

Customer:

I was dealing with an unfolding family tragedy and needed the extension and he gave it to me. But for whatever reason he's strict about deadlines

Deardebra :

I would e-mail him and tell him that you left out a few citations and was worried that it would effect your grade. It sounds like he is very understanding and gave you more time.

Customer:

Yes, but he said only in an emergency would he give extra time. But he did give it to me. Will it raise his suspicions about plagiarism if I tell him I'm including a couple of citations that weren't in the original paper?

Deardebra :

I do not feel it will because they trust that you would not do that they always read papers as they were written by the person they would never just assume you were trying in anyway to use someone else's work. I feel he will look at the paper and grade it appropriately.

Customer:

ok, thank you for your help

Deardebra :

You welcome and don't be worried.

Deardebra :

The reason why they are struck on dealines

Deardebra :

is because if they give one person a break then everyone will want a break and they also sent them because they have deadlines on their curriculum. They need to get papers corrected and in before the end of the year.

Deardebra :

You had an excuse why you are late, so he made an exception and he should of this shows me he is understanding and will listen to what you have to say.

Customer:

true

Customer:

he gave me an "incomplete" which is basically a place-holder until I submit the paper. But once you give an incomplete he can literally take all year to submit the grade

Customer:

now he's under no deadline

Customer:

to submit my grade

Deardebra :

Ok, but he still wanted you paper to be given a chance to be submitted so you do not have an incomplete.

Customer:

yes, true

Deardebra :

He wants to see you succeed. A teacher always wants students to do well because if all students are successful then they look excellent as teachers.

Customer:

here's what I am gonna tell him: Hi John, I was looking over my paper carefully today and I noticed there were a few citations that were not included in the original that should've been. So I've included them in the paper here and highlighted them in red so you can see the changes. I didn't change any text, as I know it's well past the deadline for submitting the paper. I just included the citations."

Customer:

how does that sound?

Deardebra :

That is perfect that is straight and right to the point. He will understand that it was an honest mistake.

Customer:

ok, I hope so.

Customer:

you can't really accuse someone of plagiarism if they are coming forth with the right citations...

Deardebra :

Very true, professors, teachers often just look at the paper they know people take pieces of web sites and things they learned from books because that is how people learn. people often put it in their own words.

Deardebra :

I do not feel in anyway will he assume that you used someone else's work.

Customer:

ok, very good. thank you. I feel much better now.

Dear Debra, Advice Columnist
Experience: I have been an Advice columnist for 14 years. My column is published weekly in local newpapers.