Alicia_MSW
Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Specializing in relationship/family counseling
65143460

Hey Alicia.. Having the strangest feeling ever... took lithium

Customer Question

Hey Alicia.. Having the strangest feeling ever... took lithium and smoked pot.... my mind feels so peaceful. my emotions/ego are silent and my sex drive is silent and it seems my insecurity has vanished. My mind feels much slower but not zombielike. This actually makes me want to stop smoking marijuana because this "calm" feeling is so bizarre to me. Thoughts?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm Josie and I am a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when he is back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
Expert:  Alicia_MSW replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

Sorry for the delay. Glad to hear from you again.

I hope things have been going well for you - and I am glad to hear that you're sticking to the meds. I don't think it's really so strange that you felt calm after that combination, but of course, I wouldn't advise it in the future. A lot of anecdotal evidence suggests that the combination can cause some pretty nasty side effects (even though you seem to be one of those to whom that didn't happen - you don't know what might happen in the future.)

You might want to look at this:
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/865.aspx?CategoryID=73

I think it's smart to stop smoking, especially if you're feeling motivated to give it up now - just to be on the safe side. You don't want to risk the side effects, among other things.

Stay in touch.