Dear Debra
Dear Debra, Advice Columnist
Experience:  I have been an Advice columnist for 14 years. My column is published weekly in local newpapers.
57081136

I am a widower living alone in two bedroom apartment. I am

I am a widower living alone in two bedroom apartment.
I am interested to reduce my rental costs and find a co tenant,
I have to make up my mind whether it should be a female or a male
Please advise

Deardebra : You want to chose the person you will be most comfortable with.
Deardebra : when choosing someone to live with you, you will be sharing a space and often times it is a good idea to ask a friend or a family member.
Deardebra : or maybe a coworker or someone you once worked with.
Deardebra : this person will be sharing a space so you want to choose wisely.
Deardebra : it is a great idea to choose someone to live with you to cut cost.
Deardebra : I would ask family and friends if they would interested, but if you feel like you want someone you don't know then you want to choose someone that you feel you would get along with in your home.
Deardebra : the way to do that is to ask questions and you want to make sure you take references like past landlords and make sure you get job references. You want to make sure they can afford to move in and that they are working.
Deardebra : some times people think they can afford to move and they can't so you want to check and see if they are working, how many years at the job and if they ever rented before, if they have you want to ask them for the landlords number to make sure they paid their rent.
Deardebra : as far as choosing a women or men you want to make the best choice and who is best suited for you. Because this person will be in your home you can choose anyone. So I feel you should go with someone you know has been at their job for awhile and someone who's references check out.