Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist

My wife made a dinner that contained scrambled eggs. My 18

My wife made a dinner that contained scrambled eggs. My 18 yr old daughter doesn't like scrambled eggs and refused to eat. My wife insisted that I should force my daughter to eat the dinner out of respect for her. I said she would not be allowed to refuse dinner and eat our other food, she would have to do without any dinner. This was not at all acceptable to my wife and caused a great deal of conflict. What should I have done?
Hello. At age 18, one should never be 'forced' to eat something that they don't like. It wasn't that she just didn't want it and preferred something else to it, it's that she legitimately doesn't like scrambled eggs. I don't think that your wife acted properly and should consider that your daughter is not a child. An 18 year old has every right to their own food preferences and likes and dislikes. Your wife should know or be told what your daughter likes or doesn't like if she isn't already aware. I think you acted correctly in standing up for your adult aged daughter.