Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

my friend collects hundreds of bowls and put them

my friend collects hundreds of bowls and put them in cases is this a pathology?

Category: Relationship
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 3 years ago.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective

Dear Dawn,

So nice to hear from you again.

There is a big difference between a collector and a compulsive hoarder who buys bowls indiscriminately just because they are bowls and he or she has to have them.

Unless these are art objects or valuable collectibles, then this behavior is a pathology and would be classificed as obsessive compulsive disorder, which is a form of anxiety where a person has obsessive thoughts about having to possess the object and then compulsively purchasing them and putting them away in cases.

This is a form of hoarding and can be treated with a specialized form of Cognitive Behavior Therapy known as Exposure and Response Prevention.

Your friend may be interest from the following book which may be very beneficial to him or her.

Product Details

The OCD Workbook: Your Guide to Breaking Free from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder by Bruce M. Hyman PhD LCSW and Cherlene Pedrick RN

I wish you the best, XXXXX XXXXX and shall continue to keep you in my prayers.

Warm regards,

Elliott

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.
Many of them are valuable. And each one has a distinct design. Sorry about the delay.
Dear Dawn,

It seems that your friend is a collector. There is always a bit of obsession about collectors but it is not a pathological disorder; rather it is an intellectual and artistic passion.

Those with a passion for collecting are often the artistic and cultural curators of the world and these collections enrich us in both material and non-material ways.

Thank you for the excellent question.

Warm regards,

Elliott