Doctor E
Doctor E, Social Worker
Experience:  I am a Ph.D-level therapist and college professor with a specialty in couples counseling.
73810015

Hi my boyfriend and I have broken up about a week ago. He says

Hi my boyfriend and I have broken up about a week ago. He says he hasn't been happy for so long and needs to be away from me. I think he is seeing someone else now. Is there any chance he will want to get back with me or should I forget it. I still love him.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Doctor E replied 1 year ago.

Doctor E : Hi there, I'm so sorry you're going through a tough break up right now. I'm glad you submitted this question. I know it can be hard to break away from someone you love so much, but in my experience, as hard as it is, sometimes when you have space from your significant other, you realize how much you love and miss them.
Doctor E : Sometimes a separation is exactly what the doctor ordered. When you look around at others, you realize what you had, and what you took for granted. I appreciate that you respect his need for space, but don't give up hope just yet.
Doctor E : Love is complicated (as you know!). His seeing someone else may be a short-lived fling, and something that gives him real perspective in your relationship and the time you spent together.
Doctor E : So give it (and him) some time. He will appreciate that. If you can find ways to enjoy yourself for the short term, do so. Take care of you, and nurture your own soul, while you are both in this transition point.
Doctor E : Please let me know if you would like to discuss this further, ok? And take good care.
Customer:

Thanks for you reply. We were together for 4 years but now he's seeing someone else I imagine it's to move on from me. He has made it clear that he wants to remain friends. I haven't been in contact with him for nearly 2 weeks. It was only by chance that I found out he is seeing someone else, he would never have told me on his own. So there is probably a lot I don't know about which makes things harder

Doctor E, Social Worker
Experience: I am a Ph.D-level therapist and college professor with a specialty in couples counseling.