Rev.Dr. August Abbott
Rev.Dr. August Abbott, Clergy
Experience:  Ordained minister: Counselor (spiritual/life)
1604863

Hello, I am just wondering if you could help clarify something

Hello, I am just wondering if you could help clarify something I have been thinking about for awhile. My mom was an LPN for for years but retired roughly 10 years ago. She is about 50 super well off with my dad they have several houses, brand new vehicles, ect. My dad has his own business that does well. Anyways, I went to school and became an RN. I LOVE my job even though it has caused me stress. I work in kidney dialysis and love to talk about it. I stress out about mistakes and things like that since peoples lives are at stake. My mom seems "jealous" when I talk about my job??? I dont know how to explain it but she seems short with me. I'm confused because I thought she would be happy and proud of me and interested in what I do. I dont know I just try not to talk about it around her or my boyfriend because he seems the same way. Im not bragging I just like my job and Im there so much I want to talk about my experiences but Im thinking maybe I shouldnt with them??? My dad loves it when I talk about my job and seems proud of me. Any thoughts?

What is your mom doing now? How does she fill her day

Any other children/siblings in the immediate area? Grandchildren?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She babysits my sister's 5 year old daughter every once in awhile, shops alot and goes out with her friends.

I think you're right about mom being jealous. Not in a vindictive way, but she's YOUNG and needs to feel vital, contributory.

She might not realize the importance of being there for her granddaughter, especially these days with so many kids being raised by daycare.

Even so, it might not be enough of a challenge for her. After all, you know first hand how valued you are at your career (it's not a job, it's a life!). Can you imagine not having that?

Talk to your mom on a one on one level. Plan some time alone with her where there is no chance of interruption and tell her that what you're doing is all because of her example. Let her know how you hope to hear enthusiastic support from her when you bring stories of your day home and how you'd love her thoughts and ideas, even suggestions.

Also ask her how she feels about her own life now. Whether or not she'd like to be doing something else and if so, what.

Draw her out and find out what's really going on and be prepared to help. Maybe some volunteer efforts can be filled where you are? Mom might just be the person for it and the best part is that she goes when she wants to go, for however long she wants to put in

50 isn't exactly retirement age. There are some women still adding to their families at that age (Halle Berry pregnant at 46); not that this is a suggestion by any means, but just caring for a grandbaby and shopping can get old really quickly when there's a loftier calling in one's heart. Just like yours. You see?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much! I think you are right on about this it makes perfect sense to me.