Karin Samms
Karin Samms, Counselor
Experience:  with over 15 years experience offering support with relationship, mental health & addiction issues
71830932

I have always wondered if its ok to disagree

Customer Question

I have always wondered if it's ok to disagree with a psychologist's opinion. Not on ways they suggest could be used to handle the situation (I am sure they are more knowledgeable in this area), but rather on the analysis and perspective they give you on your particular situation. For example, if you described a situation to them and they commented on what they thought was right/wrong in it, you could disagree respectfully? Would that come off as offensive to them since they are considered experts?

Category: Relationship
Expert:  Karin Samms replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, welcome to Just Answer and thank you for requesting me, I will do my best to try and support and assist you.

Your question whether it is okay to disagree with a psychologist's opinion seems a fair one, and I believe that it is fine to disagree respectfully. If you feel strongly that something is not quite right or they haven't understood your circumstances, then their opinion could well be based on a misinformed 'fact'.

Also bear in mind that experts are human beings too and as such do not always get things right and it is only their opinion. It is only a perspective, you are able to say "I'm not so sure I agree with you in this as I believe my circumstances are more x, y or z." This would allow the expert to also provide you with further support upon the analysis they have thus far provided you with and hence, it's not a bad thing as you then are provided with further perspectives on your situation. I would expect a 'professional' to be understanding of your thoughts and disagreements on their perspective/analysis and deal with it accordingly rather than consider it a personal attack.

I hope this is helping, please do come back to me for further assistance and support if you need it, I'd rather support you as much as possible and receive a positive rating and I'd be more than happy to continue supporting you until you feel satisfied.
---------
If I have answered your question, kindly rate my service positively before you leave the site so I may be credited for my time. If you choose to rate me anything less than positive, please do come back to me and I will clarify further or support your query further. Your question will not close and I will continue to support your question. Bonuses are always appreciated.

Kindest Regards, Karin
Karin Samms, Counselor
Experience: with over 15 years experience offering support with relationship, mental health & addiction issues
Hi F,

Thank you for your rating my service.
Happy to be of assistance again.

Regards, Karin :)