Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist

I am curious about these: 1. The difference between psychiatrist

I am curious about these:
1. The difference between psychiatrist and psychologist
2. I like listening to people and helping them with their problems (interested in psychology). I don't foresee being able to attend a 4 year college to obtain a degree in psychology. Is there any other way I can pursue such an interest professionally/officially?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 3 years ago.
Hello. A psychiatrist has a degree in medicine, while a psychologist has a doctorate level degree in psychology. Psychiatry involves more of a medical background, while psychology is more philosophical. If you are interested in pursuing a level of counseling certification, you can certainly look into local programs to start you out in a social setting.Case workers, school counselors, substance abuse counselors, etc. can all get certified and attend a lesser amount of classes than a 4 year degree. Depending on where you live, there may be some community colleges which would be a good start to take some classes and get certified, test the job market and determine your strengths and then advance on your career choice. It is a wonderful and rewarding field to get into.