Ryan LCSW
Ryan LCSW, Relationships
Experience:  Professional therapist
16045978

my husband is impulsive but is trying to change ,,,,,,,he does

Customer Question

my husband is impulsive but is trying to change ,,,,,,,he does really good for 2 months and then fails,,,,he will name call ,,,he was name called from his dad in his childhood,,,,he has the tools to change but doesnt seem to stay on track,,,,what is going on here.....he realizes he is the problem....he always makes me feel good about myself....doent put me down but sometimes when weare in the middle of arguing he at that moment will say its my fault that he said a bad word to me but i always stand up for myself and i never give in....i always follow my heart,,,,,,when things calm down thats when he realizes it was his fault with the way he spoke to me....he apoligizes and says he knows he can change this behavior but it seems to be happening every 2 months....he says ts his problem and not mine.....he doesnt tell me what to do....doesnt order me around,,...always says please and always compliments me everyday but he sometimes does get jealous if a man looks at me or gives a compliment but he doesnt get more jealous than that,,,,,,what advice can u give me .....thanks
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question.

I can certainly understand your concerns about your husband, however it does seem like he is taking this problem seriously which is a great sign. If these are behavior patterns that have been in his life since childhood, it's going to take some time to completely free himself from those things. Because of that, it's not uncommon for someone to continue to struggle periodically, which may make it appear that he is temporarily regressing, or that he is not using the tools that he has been given.

In most cases, as long as someone like your husband remains dedicated to making improvements and working with his therapist, these incidents will continue to get further and further apart. Part of the problem is that your husband is likely responding instinctually during those problematic times, which is why he is able to see it in retrospect, but not in the moment. You are right to not back down, and it is good that he is able to take ownership afterward.

It takes a lot of time an energy to break some of those negative responses that he has always resorted to. Even with the proper tools, getting past this often can sound a lot easier than it is. It does seems like your husband is dedicated to the process, and is trying to take responsibility for it. It also seems like you are responding to this properly. If you've noticed the same pattern happening every two months, it may help to point that out to him so that when it happens again, he is able to identify that and handle it differently the next time. Otherwise as long as he keeps working on this, there does seem reason to be encouraged that you will continue to see improvements.

I definitely wish you the best with all of this, and if there's anything else I can do to help please let me know.

Ryan
Ryan LCSW, Relationships
Experience: Professional therapist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what would u call this and why does he say at that moment that its my fault and then afterwards says its his fault,,,,,,is he trying to control....manipulate

Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks ryan but i dont understand the anger/fustrating part in the last sentence

Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

0k i understand,,,,,,,,do i only pay a one time 15 dollars and then free for week.....how about when i want to cancel

Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

0k .....he has pushed me a few times....grabed me by my neck but he admits its his fault and is trying to change that to....the last few times we argued he stayed n control....what do u call this....abuse or impulsive....and he doesnt see a therapist anymore....he doesnt want to go again cause he says there gonna tell him the same thing and he says he knows what to do and he says he knows he can do this cause he was in worse situations as a teenager until the age of 25 and managed to change it.....what do u think

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m a Moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!