Ryan LCSW, Relationships
Experience:  Professional therapist

what is a healthy time apart in a serious relationship

Thanks for your question.

The answer depends on the relationship and the reason for taking the time apart in the first place. Sometimes incidents have happened, or trust has been broken, and couples take a week to several weeks apart. There are even situations where couples take off more time than that. The idea is that the time apart helps them to cool off, gather their thoughts, and eventually approach things from a fresh perspective. Other times problems or conflicts happen that may not be quite as serious, but couples still find it necessary to take a few days apart. As long as both people are using the time apart in a productive way, the amount of time that can be considered healthy can vary depending on the relationship and the circumstances.

I hope I've been able to answer your question, and if there's anything else I can do to help please let me know.