Ryan LCSW
Ryan LCSW, Relationships
Experience:  Professional therapist
16045978

I currently have a best friend/ room mate who has recently

I currently have a best friend/ room mate who has recently become bulimic. Ive already disscussed that im worried about her and she needs to stop and she says shes working on it with her therapist. I hear her puking everyday. What can i do or say that can stop her?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend and I can certainly understand your concern about her. It's good that you were comfortable enough to discuss your worries with her, and it is also very encouraging that she is working on this problem with her therapist. Unfortunately bulimia is a very difficult eating disorder to overcome, and sometimes people continue to struggle with it for a long time even if they are currently getting proper treatment for it.

One of the best things you can do for her is to continue to be her friend and model positive eating habits and healthy attitudes towards food. This may mean just being yourself and being a good friend. Most likely she knows she needs to stop this behavior, but it is a compulsion that is difficult for her to control. Ask her if there is anything that you can do to support her in getting past this. Encourage her to be open and honest with her therapist. If you've notice the frequency of her vomiting getting worse, don't be afraid to discuss that with her. While you don't want to come across as preachy, you do want her to know that you care about her and are concerned. Right now she is fortunately getting proper help for this, and the combination of that and being surrounded by good friends and positive people will continue to help her get through this.

I definitely wish you the best with your friends. If there is anything else I can do to help please let me know.

Ryan
Ryan LCSW, Relationships
Experience: Professional therapist
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.