Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

I inadvertedly told a mental patient I was mentoring my customary

I inadvertedly told a mental patient I was mentoring my customary password XXXXX years ago and the whole thing has ballooned out of control and I have lost almost my entire computer nor is my bank account safe, Is mthere anything I can do. A friend of hers lives over the road and she and thkids have been coming in the house so have had direct access to my computer too
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective

Dear friend,

You have suffered a loss and have learned a valuable but costly lesson on personal security and trust.

A person does not have to be a mental patient to be dishonest or manipulative, and many mental patients are moral and honest.

This kind of behaviour is sociopathic, in that it shows no regard or feeling for your pain and suffering.

It seems as if you have done what you need to do to insure your safety and the integrity of your finances and privacy.

Keep your computer locked henceforth, and stop allowing this family access to your life.

Tell them that they lost your trust and friendship when they took advantage of your kind and generous nature.

Do not cast your pearls before swine, the old saying goes. Save your help for those who appreciate your goodness and will never abuse your trust. There are many who will benefit from the mentoring that you give them and your reward will be to see them learn, and see them reflect the kindness that you give to them.

Teaching by example, by being a good role model, is key to helping others.

Not everybody wants to learn. Some just want an edge to get over on you.

Hopefully, you learned this lesson from them - the hard way of course - but you have grown.

Don't let this lesson make you become cynical and do not lost your trusting nature. Just let the next ones earn that trust as well. Trust and verify.

I believe that you are past this.

Make sure to talk to a higher up person at your bank, and with a police inspector. Both of these individuals can give you further safety tips to protect yourself.

I shall keep you in my prayers.

Warm regards,

Thank you. May God bless and protect you, Ann.

Warm regards,