Alicia_MSW
Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Specializing in relationship/family counseling
65143460

Hi. I did something really bad. its about a woman. I created

Customer Question

Hi. I did something really bad. its about a woman. I created a false facebook profile pretending It was a guy I though she liked and had a conversation with her. she found out it was me. I denied it and she says she knows it was me. she has deleted me from sype and another account we chat on. Will she ever speak to me again. what should I do?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Alicia_MSW replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Alicia. Thanks for asking your question - I'm happy to help you today.

I don't know if this situation is irreparable or whether she will be able to forgive you - it really depends on her, and what you say to her from this point forward. Basically, her trust in you (if there was any to begin with, I don't know what your relationship was with her prior to the fake facebook account incident) has been broken and you have to step back for a little while and give her space so she can deal with the immediate feelings of anger and betrayal. If you try to pursue her or get her to talk to you now, you're probably only going to end up pushing her away more. I know it can be tempting to try to talk to her now, but it's not going to work - give her a few days, then send her an email of sincere apology. I wouldn't try to call her, because then emotions can quickly get out of hand. Just sit down today and think about how you would compose an email to her to explain your behavior and actions (what motivated you to do this in the first place, etc) and let her know that you are very sorry you hurt her and broke her trust in you, etc. Be honest and let her know, for example, that you really care about her and would not do anything to hurt her from this point forward if she would think about forgiving you. Send it to her in a few days then just wait and see if she responds. Unfortunately, you're going to have to give her space and time and let the ball be in her court right now, and whether she does decide to forgive you ultimately will depend on her. I know it's not ideal, but sometimes we have to live with the ramifications of our actions (even temporarily, if she does manage to get over it and forgive you.)

I hope it works out. Please let me know if I can provide further assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have always been a gentlemen with her before this incident and she had a lot of trust in me. What are the chances that it can be repaired?

Hi again,

In my opinion, if you've always had a good relationship with her and there haven't been any previous trust issues between the two of you, then there are really two ways to look at the situation. On the one hand, if she had a lot of trust in you before this happened, then the betrayal might hurt even more, but on the other, she might be more willing to give you another chance due to your previous friendship. So it's hard to say for sure, because it all depends on how she looks at the situation and whether she's willing to try again - but just don't expect too much from her too soon. Rebuilding trust is a slow process - but hopefully it will be worth it in the end and I think if you take it one step at a time, your chances are better than if you rush things too much.

Best of luck.