Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

My husband was laid off six months ago. I think he can still

My husband was laid off six months ago. I think he can still contribute to the family by caring for the house and family. Instead he watches movies, take naps, and reads. I am frustrated that everything is still left for me. We do have an uneven division of labor, me doing more and I think he should do my part until he gets a job. Am I unrealistic?
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I am sorry that you are in this situation.

Your husband should be out looking for work, unless he is getting a big unemployment check.

However, whether or not he is, is secondary to his situation at home. He is unrealistic and acting like a spoiled and selfish person who has special privileges.

You should expect him to help out, or maybe even do some extra chores like painting, major repairs, or just helping with the daily chores of cooking, cleaning laundry, childcare, and so forth.

He needs to act like a partner in this marriage and help you pull the load while he has the free time. He is acting like a spoiled child, if you allow me to be so bold.

Perhaps he needs a refresher course. I recommend the classic and best book of the subject of making marriages work:

Product Details

Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John Gottman

My very best wishes to you for getting things back on track at home and I shall keep you in my prayers.

Warm regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Elliot. He is looking passively for a job as he waits for recruiters to call him. He does the laundry, except for putting it away and he des the dishes. He feels that our roles have not changed even though he is unemployed