Dear Debra
Dear Debra, Advice Columnist
Experience:  I have been an Advice columnist for 14 years. My column is published weekly in local newpapers.
57081136

I have a medical condition that restricts my diet quiet a bit.

I have a medical condition that restricts my diet quiet a bit. Due to this I have been avoiding social life a lot as I did not feel like sharing my diet restrictions with everyone.But now I feel that it is coming in my way of getting success at work where relationships are many times built over food. I need advice on whether I should start sharing my medical problems with everyone or not. And how should I do that.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dear Debra replied 1 year ago.
People often don't realize how much food does effect our social environment. People go out to eat on business meetings, dates, functions. A person that is not restricted on their diet does not realize how much food influences our lives. What happens is people at work will wonder why you try to avoid going out to eat. So it is best that you explain to people why you are on restrictions. People are very understanding about diet these days because it is becoming something where people have to do. People are on special diets cause of their heart, diabetes, weight lose, allergies, and more. This is very common and you should not be avoiding situations because people are very understanding. I want you to look at this is your life and you need to be on restrictions when it comes to food. You do not want this to be something that holds you back in work or you miss out on creating relationships with others at work. You want to be part of the work group to create a successful environment. I am sure they will ask questions but they just want to know so they can fully understand things. If they do not ask questions it is because they will wait for you to tell them because they might think you do not want to talk about it. But I want you to take the first step and begin to tell others that you avoid going out to eat because of what you have and I am sure they will say not to worry. People always accept people for who they are when they want to fully get to know them and when they want to share in their lives. Let the people in work get to know the real you.
Dear Debra, Advice Columnist
Experience: I have been an Advice columnist for 14 years. My column is published weekly in local newpapers.