Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
45897396

I have ADD and it has caused a lot of issues in my life especially

I have ADD and it has caused a lot of issues in my life especially relationship-wise. I have a hard time making new friends because I am more shy and keeping the good ones because I am impulsive and can't trust people due to quick and careless relationships in my past. Any ideas or suggestions?
Thank you for contacting Just Answer.
I am sorry to hear about your difficulties. I am sure you know already the ADD/ADHD CRITERIA listed in the DSM IV --- American Psychiatric Association Diagnostic and Statistical Manual. But I will list it here.
ADD / ADHD CRITERIA - DSM IV
INATTENTION (need 6 of 9)
a) often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work or other activities

b) often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities

c) often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly

d) often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (no if oppositional behavior or doesn't understand instructions)

e) often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities

f) often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in tasks or activities that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork or homework)

g) often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (e.g., toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools)

h) is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli

i) is often forgetful in daily activities

HYPERACTIVITY-IMPULSIVITY (need 6 of 9)
a) often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat

b) often leaves seat in classroom or in other situations in which remaining seated is expected

c) often runs about or climbs excessively in situations in which it is inappropriate (in adolescents or adults, may be limited to subjective feelings of restlessness)

d) often has difficulty playing or engaging in leisure activities quietly

e) is often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor"

f) often talks excessively

g) often blurts out answers before questions have been completed

h) often has difficulty awaiting turn

i) often interrupts or intrudes on others (e.g., butts into conversations or games)

REQUIREMENTS:
1) Present at least 6 months, maladaptive and inconsistent with development level

2) Some symptoms that caused impairment were present before age 7

3) Some impairment from the symptoms is present in two or more settings (e.g., at school {or work} and at home)

4) There must be clear evidence of clinically significant impairment in social, academic or occupational functioning

So since you are diagnosed with ADD, you must be on medication to help you with your impulsiveness or any other ADD symptoms you may have. A psychiatrist, who deals with ADD can, in addition to medicating you, provide you with coaching to deal with your symptoms.
1-800-233-4050 in the National Resource Center on AD/HD to find a specialist or treatment center for adult AD/HD or ADD. You may also check resources at National Resource Center on AD/HD. (Website address: http://www.help4adhd.org/ )

Here are also some other resources you may want to check out.

http://webdoc.nyumc.org/nyumc/files/psych/attachments/psych_adhd_checklist.pdf

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2007/adhd-in-adult

I wish you well. Please don't hesitate to ask me any other questions you may have.