Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
45897396

Hello. This relationship is more on the business side of things.

Hello. This relationship is more on the business side of things. I am planning on applying for a scholarship that will ease the financial burden of me studying in Canada next year. I'm hoping to go to Quebec because most jobs for French majors here in the States request that the applicant know and can speak the Canadian French accent. Scholarship companies want to know why I should go instead of the next "Joeschmo" next to me. They want to send someone who will be active at the Canadian university and not studying in their room all the time. This is a reasonable expectation; I'd ask for the applicant to do the same for me if I was in their shoes. But, being a naturally shy person who likes to study a lot, what should I do about this expectation?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 1 year ago.
Hi,thank you for contacting Just Answer.
First, let me tell you that I am Canadian --- from Montreal, Quebec and studied at Concordia, McGill and Universite de Montreal --- French, in fact at U. de M. Each University has a different culture so let me ask you first, where will you be studying?
Just because you are a shy person doesn't mean that you need to give them a preview of your personality. It would be important for me to know some of the questions that they are asking you on the application form to know how best you can respond to them. So ... what is this scholarship for? Which University? Why are you studying French, etc., etc., These would probably be some of the questions they would ask.
If you answer some of these I'll be in a better position to help. BTW, I now live in New York City but still visit Montreal frequently. I came here to continue my studies.
I see that you may not be online. I will be logging off shortly as it is getting late here --- for me, that is --- I start seeing patients at 6:15 A.M. so if we don't connect this evening please give me some more information --- some that I asked for so that tomorrow morning when I sign back on I will be in a better position to help you --- especially since I know the cultture very well.

So, if I don't hear from you tonight, let me say good night and we'll continue tomorrow.

Just put Dr. Shirley Schaye before your response and I will be the one to respond.

Bonne nuit!
A demain!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Dr. Schaye,

I am hoping to study at l'Universite Laval. UQaM is my second choice. Laval was recommended to me by the head of the French department.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear, Dr. Shirley Schaye,

The scholarship is on a PDF File. That file is attached to the following URL: http://www.killamfellowships.com/programs/americans/how-to-apply-a.html . The topics that I need to discuss are found on page two, section five. I hope that this helps. Thank you for your help.

I'll check it out.
Just want to say this --- it helps to know where you are applying. The culture here --- at Laval would be quite different from let's say Concordia or McGill or even U de M. Let me when I get a chance read the file and then I will get back to you.
I checked out that site and do not see the pdf file. I did find this:

"The committee will rank all candidates based on their proposed program of study, their personal statement, their record of academic achievement, and their letters of reference. The committee will produce a list of recommended candidates, which will include alternates. This list will form the basis for all award decisions."

So if you have the pdf file can you send it to me.
What I can say is pay attention especially to how the committeee ranks students from what I quoted above. Your personal statement should let them know that you are very interested in learning French and therefore you want to study French at their ( whichever you choose) University but not only that you want to be immersed in French culture. So studying French at a University that is in a French city where you will be exposed to the language not only in class but every day --- in class, where you live, wherever you socialize will certainly enhance your ability to learn French.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, Dr. Shirley Schaye,

Do you know about the culture at Laval? If it is bad, should I look at another school?

Sincerely,

Stephanie M. Shelton

I don't know of the culture, per se, at Laval. Laval is in Quebec City so a very different culture from any of the universities in Montreal. Put it this way --- you will feel much more foreign at Laval than the universities in Montreal. Now let me say something else so you;ll understand what I am getting at. Put it this way --- if you were at the Sorbonne in Paris, yes, you would feel forein but I am sure you would feel much more accepted than anywhere in Quebec City. There is more hostility towards English speaking people in Quebec City than, in say, Montreal.
OOPS!!! Sorry pardon my typos --- you'll foreign
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You've given me something to think about. Thank you. Laval is my first choice, but UQaM is my second choice. Do you know about the l'Universite de Quebec a Chicoutimi? That is my third choice.

No I don't but the culture in Chicoutimi would not be different.
I just want to say Bonne Nuit, encore. I am signing off for the night. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Also please don't forget to rate me otherwise I do not get credit for my work. Bonuses are also appreciated.
A demain, si vous avez plus des questions.

Sorry I don't have a French keyboard so --- pas des accents.
BTW, when I learned French in Montreal, except for U de M, all our teachers were Parisian French. Things have changed since then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you think that I would be accepted as an English-speaking foreigner at Chicoutimi, or should I avoid going there?

I don't know about that. It is not a well known university. I had not heard of them even coming from Montreal.
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience: PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy