BillLCSW
BillLCSW, LCSW, MFT Treating Couples for 35 years
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker MF Therapist
48585111

I had a vivid dream that I was at a house, a nice house. I

I had a vivid dream that I was at a house, a nice house. I was sitting in the living room using a pottery wheel to make a bowl of some sort. I was only wearing a button down shirt and underwear. My ex boyfriend walks in the door, like he is coming home from work (keys, briefcase in hand) and sees me working at the pottery wheel and smiles. He then says flirtatiously "hey, that's my shirt you are getting wet clay all over". I stop the pottery wheel, walk over to him, slowly unbutton the shirt, slip it off and hand it to him. I smile, he smiles and I go back to the pottery wheel. He puts everything in his hands down on the chair, comes over to me, takes my hands off the pottery wheel, puts them on him and kisses me, we fall back onto the couch and then I woke up. My ex got in touch with me out of the blue right before Christmas, wanting to see me, could this dream mean that we are going to try and re-create our relationship?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  BillLCSW replied 2 years ago.
This is an interesting dream.

Although this is a vivid representation of an intense underlying romatics desire- which was most stimulated by the recent spontaneous contact, keep in mind that dreams of this time also signal a return to old patterns of negative behavior that may be resurfacing.

My sense is that the relationship ended as it was in someone way not healthy and if this is the case, the intense romatic aspect may be your unfulfilled desire for what was lacking in the relationship or a relationship that had intense superficial luster but lacked depth.

I don't think this dream represents that you are going to "re-create" the relationship--it is more likely a signal or warning that returning to the ex would be return to negative dynamics that caused the relationship to fail.

I am curious to know your response to what I have suggested and welcome your feedback. I am interested in knowing why the relationship with your ex ended.

I look forward to your response and will reply ASAP

Kindest regards, Bill
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its interesting that you say the dream is more likely a signal or warning of returning to negative dynamics eventho the dream didn't feel omnious, my ex and I still have to "clear the air" between us if there is any hope of us reconnecting and trying a relationship again. When we dated our relationship hadn't taken the plunge into deep intimacy it was sitting on the precipice but he wasn't ready what I was ready for.

We have a very intense connection that has soul mate qualities, he was not ready for a serious relationship when we dated last fall, so he walked away without a word but we keep coming back to each other since our intial breakup via phone calls or text, we just haven't seen each other although we have tried to mesh our schedules, there 's something still there and I have this feeling-a gut instinct when I think about him and what has transpired recently, that he will come back into my life and when that happens we can talk about what happened and what we want in the future. There is major potential for a deep fulfilling relationship but we both have to be on the same page, and we just aren't yet but I haven't given up hope. I'm not sitting at home pining for him, I'm actively dating other men but no man I meet compares to him.

Expert:  BillLCSW replied 2 years ago.
Nikki-

I think you may have a soul mate connection but the as you are aware- you realize that a return to the relationship would be premature-which is the warning signal from your dream.

You can always hope- but it is important to keep in mind that people do not change and if you are expecting any change in him that has not occured- unless he makes the choice to change- reconnecting would not like be the best choice.

I wish you the very best- If you have a more to share- feel free to respond.

Kindest regards, Bill

Experience: Licensed Clinical Social Worker MF Therapist