Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist
15718554

I have been to 4 counselors that have all given up on me mostly

I have been to 4 counselors that have all given up on me mostly due to insurance issues but I need help what do you suggest?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 1 year ago.
Hello. There may be some other low cost to free options in your area. Do you have a 211 service? There are a lot of self help resources as well if you are a reader or a good researcher. I don't have a lot of detail as to what your main issues are to help be more specific in trying to help you. If it is depression you are having an issue with, you need to find out what would make you happy and seek those goals out. Your situation may be very complex and you need to try to simplify it as much as possible to be able to move forward from whatever is stopping you from living your life fully. It should not be in the nature of a counselor to give up on a client. Sometimes it can take several tries to find the right counselor for you who you get along with and who understands you. If you are able to, I would seek a new counselor but do research first to find reviews to see who may best suit your type of issue you need help with. Some counselors are better at dealing with a certain type of problem and you may fall out of their expertise. Not all counselors are right for you. Don't give up!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I lost my sister in 1994 and when she died so did my secret I was gang raped july 1993. I have survived but need to learn to move on.
Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 1 year ago.
This is an issue that should be resolved in a face to face setting with a counselor who knows you well and can speak with you on a regular basis. This is certainly not an easy situation to deal with or question to answer with a handful of exchanges. I can offer some general advice to you and ask you why you feel the counselors were not able to help you and in your mind, what kind of help do you feel you need? A situation such as this is not something that anyone else can do for you. Ultimately, you have to make the decision that you want to and need to move on. You are going to have to move forward, no one can do this for you. There isn't going to be anything in this world that can take away what happened to you. You need to decide how you are going to handle it and take control of your life. This was a horrific thing that happened, but you are letting it win by not taking back control of your life. 20 years is a long time to let this event hold you hostage. The people that did this to you are winning every single day that you let them. They took a great deal from you, but don't let them take your life. All of this time you are wasting by giving it to them. You need to decide that you won't let this control one more day of your future. What are your choices at this point? Let this take the rest of your life from you or leave it behind and make a good future for yourself? All the counseling in the world will not help you if you aren't willing to help yourself by taking those steps forward. Find out what will make you happy and do those things. I encourage you to find another counselor in your area to talk with and who can help you take those first steps.
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience: Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist