Karin Samms
Karin Samms, Counselor
Experience:  with over 15 years experience offering support with relationship, mental health & addiction issues
71830932

is it wrong to want abit of alone time away from my girlfriend

is it wrong to want abit of alone time away from my girlfriend once and awhile? all we do is spend time together and all iwant is a guys night out or to hang out with friends but my gf wont let me
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Karin Samms replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, welcome to Just Answer. I will try and help you with your question.

It sounds as though you just want a little space and there's nothing wrong with this. It may be more about a) how you go about telling/convincing her and b) reassuring her as she sounds as though she may be a little insecure about herself.

You may also need to be firm and assertive in your attempts to spend time away with your friends.
Could you perhaps explain to her that she means the works to you, you're not likely to do anything daft if you were to go out with the boys and that she needs to give you some space..
You could explain to her that she doesn't need to be included every single time as this is not healthy either.
Do you feel she is justified in any way about her feelings of not letting you go out without her? Has something happened that has left her feeling like this, if there has been some kind of history then one could understand and so you would need to try and understand this and convey to her that you understand this too, but that it remains unhealthy to not let you go out once in a while by yourself.

If this continues, after all the above strategies have been tried, you may need to get a little more firm and assertive with her and express that this isn't fair and that she needs to let go a little. Perhaps you could suggest hobbies or things that she can do with you but also things that she could do alone. You could try going for a coffee with her before you go out with your friends. It seems a little stifling for you and I hope she can let go a little before its too late and loses you and your patience.

Please accept my answer if you feel my response has been helpful, however please don't hesitate to come back to me if you need any further clarification. If I have answered your question, kindly rate my service so I may be credited for my time. If you choose to rate me anything less than positive, please do come back to me and I will clarify further or support your query further.
Kind regards, Karin

Karin Samms, Counselor
Experience: with over 15 years experience offering support with relationship, mental health & addiction issues
Hi Nate,
Just touching base with you and wondering how you got on with my response. Did you make any final decisions or are you reflecting on things?
I hope all is well with you; you know where I am if you need further assistance or support, just put "Hi Karin.." at the start of any new questions and I will do my best to help you :)
Take care, Karin