Dr. D. Brown
Dr. D. Brown, Psychologist
Experience:  21 years as Psychotherapist & Relationship Specialist
59759990

Question

My older son feels inferior intellectually to his psychiatrist and his younger brother for various reasons. He told me he was upset that neither the Psychiatrist or his brother validated
his intelligence. Yet, they both told him to work hard in college, but neither one told him he was intelligent. How can I respond to him? (He told me I was the only one who told him he is intelligent) thanks...
My younger son is "talented" with a very high SAT score
But my older son is smart too.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. D. Brown replied 3 years ago.

Dr. D. Brown :

Thank you for reaching out to JustAnswer. I think your son brings up a good question: there are many different types of intelligence. Some people are more "book smart", others are more "emotionally intelligent" and seem to have a wisdom about life that is beyond books or classroom experience. I don't know your son, but he may be looking for validation that he, indeed, is a person with "intelligence about life". You may want to tell him this; that, in fact, there are lots of different types of intelligence and he has a unique type of intelligence that isn't measured by SAT scores or grades necessarily, but by a certain wisdom about how he lives his life. You also may want to cite some examples of how he is intelligent in this way (some examples might be how he handles certain situations well, is good with certain types of people, or a hobby). I hope this helps. It can be challenging when your children are talented in different ways. I think underneath it all, your son is looking for validation from you, and as long as you respond sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX really appreciate it. I appreciate a positive rating if you feel that your needs were met. If not, please let me know how I can further serve you. Thank you for the opportunity to be of service.