Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Counselor
Experience:  I have a degree in psychology and worked with many couples. I am happily married and have been for 10 years.

My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years. For the

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years. For the past year I have been becoming less secure in the relationship, because he gets a great deal of attention from other women. In may I caught him wedging another girl. I broke up with him and he cried and begged me to take him back. I did. We are in 2 different schools this fall so I see him roughly once a week and we text, snap chat, talk daily. From good morning texts to goodnight. Being that I don't see him often, when I do, I know I have been rather clingy and needy, practically begging him at times to see me. Last weekend I found out he attended a party right down the street from my home. He never told me he was at the party and I found out the fact when I pressed him on where he was. He told me he didnt tell me he was going because I would have given him grief.which is true.. I need to work on my confidence. He is just so handsome and perfect, I know there are girls throwng themselves t him. My mistake, but he lied to me. He knew I dance he would attend the party and never told me till I basically forced him to. That night I stopped responding to his texts.. He tried to contact me 4 times. The next morning I woke to a good morning text but was Stijl upset from the night before, so I didn't respond for hours. When I responded he said we was not going to see me as promised and that he would be attending the state game. I texted him, and he didn't respond due to poor reception at the stadium. I feel as of I am putting 110 percent into the relationship and he is giving me 50. So when he texted he asked if things are ok. I said no, I'm unhappy and have been for awoke, he texted me too and promptly called me. After 23 minutes of conversation hebtold me he doesn't know if he wants me in his life. He is taking these next 7 days to decide and at the end of it he will call me with his decision. I am in honors college. I cannot stop crying and am sick with worry. With each day that passes, I realize he isn't thinking of me because he hasn't tried to contact me. I am beside myself. I don't know what to do, It is maddening waiting for the bomb to drop on Saturday. I love him so much and regret everything that I did that day. I have been needy and insecure. The situation escalated, I know he had no intention of breaking up with me. Or perhaps he has been waiting for the opportunity. His family and extended family all love me and I them.. Yesterday his mom texted and said I'm thinking of you this morning, I know this is so hard I am here for you you are like a daughter to me.hugs. what is 7 days going to do, and with each day that passes my hopes diminish
more. Feeling lost alone and unloved. So scared he won't be coming back. Dreading the phone call.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 1 year ago.

jenhelant :

Hi, I am sorry to hear what you are going through, but I do commend you on the fact that you are seeking help through counseling as well as here. Try not to be so hard on yourself with this. You said that you used to be confident and you can get this back. Do not feel guilty and blame yourself for everything. It takes two people in a relationship to make it work. Yes, you can learn from your mistakes and be better for him or someone else in the future as well as yourself most importantly. However, he has done things himself such as lie and that incident with the girl. He also could have invited you to the party rather than go alone and hide it because you would give him grief. The fact that he lied instead of wanting you there is concerning and seemed as though he was turning the situation to blame you. I understand how upset you are and feel as if it will not pass, but try and look at the positive side here. Sometimes things happen for a reason and if he could not be trusted. Trust is important in a relationship. He

jenhelant :

He may

jenhelant :

He may say that it is your fault he lied, but the truth of the matter is that if he had good intentions he would have talked to you about this and worked it out before it got to this point,. He may have just been using this as an excuse to do as he wanted since his history shows he has done things in the past.

Customer: hello? I couldn't read anything after he may...
jenhelant :

Sorry had a technical issue

jenhelant :

It is there now

Customer: That's ok
Customer: So do you think this 7 day break means he ia with our relationship.
jenhelant :
jenhelant :

Anything can happen in this 7 days and it is hard to say his true feelings. However, I think what is important here is to take care of yourself. Of course it is natural to cry and good to let it out, but try not to let it

Customer: I wonder if there is another girl?
Customer: When I caught him with wedging in may , I broke up within
jenhelant :

get you to the point where you can not focus or do well in school. Stay strong and focus on other things right now because if ends up do wanting to stay in the relationship then you can be in a better place instead of a worse place in your life. Just the same as if he does not want to stay in the relationship still you want to be in a better position for yourself, the people around you, and another possible relationship.

jenhelant :

You did the right thing.

jenhelant :

Try not to worry if there is another girl and if there is do not compare. It was him also that needed to work on the relationship. Sometimes people take forgranted the person they are with and realize in the future, which may happen in his case.

jenhelant :

I would try to stay positive this week trying not to worry. Worry will only cause you more pain and stress for nothing. The end outcome will be regardless. If you stay positive you will be ready to deal with any of the possible outcomes.

jenhelant :

On another note I do understand you were insecure because he was good looking. What is important is the inside and the other person needs to pass this trust along to us. Try not to let the good looks intimidate you because if he loves you he will be with you regardless and it would be up to him to prove his trust to you. This goes for anyone really.

Customer: I meant sexting another girl...not wedging. Silly auto correct. I broke up with him then and n
jenhelant :

I imagined it was a word for like groping. Thanks for the clarification.

Customer: He begged me to take him back. He says I'm not the same girl he fell in love with. I've changed.. Yes grown up and are dealing with different life issues.. Everyone changes after 3 years don't you think?
jenhelant :

Sure, especially in the college years, but it is a good thing to change . We should all be growing and learning at any time in our lives, so if we did not change that would be concerning.

Customer: I haven't seen a response from you since the technical issue....
jenhelant :

Thats strange. Did you see this...

jenhelant :

Hello

jenhelant :

It is there now

<div class="JA_chatMsgAuthor"Customersays:

8:10 AM

That's ok

8:11 AM

So do you think this 7 day break means he ia with our relationship.

jenhelant says:

8:12 AM

8:13 AM

8:13 AM

I wonder if there is another girl?

8:14 AM

When I caught him with wedging in may , I broke up within

jenhelant says:

8:15 AM

8:15 AM

You did the right thing.

8:16 AM

8:17 AM

8:19 AM

8:19 AM

I meant sexting another girl...not wedging. Silly auto correct. I broke up with him then and n

jenhelant says:

8:20 AM

8:20 AM

He begged me to take him back. He says I'm not the same girl he fell in love with. I've changed.. Yes grown up and are dealing with different life issues.. Everyone changes after 3 years don't you think?

jenhelant says:

8:21 AM

8:21 AM

I haven't seen a response from you since the technical issue....

jenhelant says:

8:22 AM

Thats strange. Did you see this...

8:22 AM

Hello

Customer: Yes
jenhelant :

Hello?

jenhelant :

Do you see everything now

jenhelant :

It is strange.

jenhelant :

I copied and pasted everything I wrote. I was writing all along

jenhelant :

Did you get it?

jenhelant :

Hi did you get it?

Customer: No
jenhelant :

8:07 AM

He may

8:10 AM

8:10 AM

hello? I couldn't read anything after he may...

jenhelant says:

8:11 AM

Sorry had a technical issue

8:11 AM

It is there now

8:10 AM

That's ok

8:11 AM

jenhelant says:

8:12 AM

8:13 AM

8:13 AM

I wonder if there is another girl?

8:14 AM

jenhelant says:

8:15 AM

8:15 AM

You did the right thing.

8:16 AM

8:17 AM

8:19 AM

8:19 AM

jenhelant says:

8:20 AM

8:20 AM

jenhelant says:

8:21 AM

8:21 AM

jenhelant says:

8:22 AM

Thats strange. Did you see this...

8:22 AM

Hello

8:22 AM

It is there now

8:10 AM

That's ok

8:11 AM

jenhelant says:

8:12 AM

8:13 AM

8:13 AM

I wonder if there is another girl?

8:14 AM

jenhelant says:

8:15 AM

8:15 AM

You did the right thing.

8:16 AM

8:17 AM

8:19 AM

8:19 AM

jenhelant says:

8:20 AM

8:20 AM

jenhelant says:

8:21 AM

8:21 AM

jenhelant says:

8:22 AM

Thats strange. Did you see this...

8:22 AM

Hello

8:23 AM

<div class="JA_chatMsgContent"Customerhas stepped out of this chat.

8:23 AM

<div class="JA_chatMsgContent"Customerhas entered this chat!

8:23 AM

Yes

jenhelant says:

8:23 AM

Hello?

8:24 AM

Do you see everything now

8:24 AM

It is strange.

8:24 AM

8:24 AM

Did you get it?

8:26 AM

8:26 AM

jenhelant says:

8:26 AM

Hi did you get it?

jenhelant :

I just sent you the entire chat

jenhelant :

Do you see it?

Jen Helant, Counselor
Experience: I have a degree in psychology and worked with many couples. I am happily married and have been for 10 years.
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I switched it to question and answer, so maybe you can now see everything that was written. You can still respond just as I can, but will go to your email instead.
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.