Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Counselor
Experience:  I have a degree in psychology and worked with many couples. I am happily married and have been for 10 years.

Hello. I want to help out a friend. But, I am unsure of how

Hello. I want to help out a friend. But, I am unsure of how to best help her because her issue is something that I haven't experienced. What can I do?

jenhelant :

Hi, That is nice of you to want to help a friend out. That is very considerate of you to think about the fact that you have never experienced what she is going through. This can cause a challenge. The best thing that you can do is think about if you were in your friend's situation. Imagine what you would like your friend to do for you. Think about how you would feel and what you think is the best way to go about resolving the issue. You can also go online and do research on her issue depending what it is. This can help you to learn more about her issue in order for you to know more about it. Most important let this friend know that you are there for them no matter what and that you are there to support them. Just by them knowing you are there to listen and support offers a huge help in itself and can be the difference of someone being able to get through the problem or not.

jenhelant :

Please let me know if I can help further.

jenhelant :

I hope your friend gets better!

This is what I needed to know. Thanks!