Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Counselor
Experience:  I have a degree in psychology and worked with many couples. I am happily married and have been for 10 years.
13551071

This sounds pathetic but I was dating this woman for month

This sounds pathetic but I was dating this woman for month and few weeks and we clicked very well. I was having a hard time though because I had to see the doctor for what I already knew what was wrong with me I have melanoma. She notice I was acting down and not my usual self. I think she mistake my awkwardness and being quiet as rudeness. I wanted to tell her but couldn't. We have been intimate before but I really just wanted to be friends with her because of my health problems. She ended up not talking to me because of my attitude. I just want to tell her thank you for being there when I needed her and to tell her about my health problem but not sure how to. Could you help me explain it to her please. Sorry i am a mess right now. Its more of me just trying to explain and say bye i don't know if i can make her understand.

This is not pathetic at all. I am so sorry to hear about your health issue and can surely understand why you reacted the way you did. I think the best thing you can do is be honest with her. Let her know why you reacted the way you did, why you feel the two of you should remain friends, and about your health issue. Just be honest. This is your health issue and not as if you cheated on her. She should understand and she may even want to be with you anyway. The fact is let her decide what she thinks and wants for herself and you tell her what you want and think is best for you. Just let her know what you are going through. This is nothing to be ashamed about. Be sincere with her and if she is a good person she will be and feel your sincerity as well as be understanding of your health issue. There is not right or wrong way to say it. Even the way you just told me is fine. Don't be so hard on yourself. I am so sorry again and all gentle wishes to come your way. Please let me know if I can be of further help to you.

Thanks,

Jennifer