Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Counselor
Experience:  I have a degree in psychology and worked with many couples. I am happily married and have been for 10 years.

WE are late 50s and engaged to be married. My boyfriend says

Customer Question

WE are late 50's and engaged to be married. My boyfriend says that he is always hit on by women and he looks at them and thinks " yes i could get somebody slimmer and younger than you,,, but would never find a women that loves me as much as you,,, i believe you really really love me,, so i would not leave you for a skinny , younger women.. Do you think this was a hurtful mean thing to say to me.? I told him if you want a skinny women,,, go and get one,, but he says never,, no women ever would love me like you??? what do you think of his comments
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 3 years ago.

I am so sorry that he said that to you. That wasn't nice at all. That was hurtful, but really I wouldn't take it personal. If you both have a good relationship in general, he respects you, good to you, and you trust him and this was a one time thing then I would not worry. Just by what you said I get a sense that he really loves you and you love him. I think he was just flattered by these women that look at him and he kind of got an ego boost from it. It made him feel good and it was his way of telling you "hey you have a good thing and I am only yours" "a lot of women want me, but I only want you". It was inconsiderate to say that, but I don't think he meant the way it came out. I think you handled it very well and he knows that you are a good women and love him very much. He knows the truth that weight is not most important and everyone ages. If you know he loves you and your relationship is good otherwise I would let it go. If he continues this type of behavior then I would take it more serious and have a serious talk with him about it.

I wish you gentle wishes and please let me know if I can be of further help.