Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

Customer Question

I am dating a 50 yr old man with 3 kids, two older daughters and a 6 yr old son, how do I handle this in regards XXXXX XXXXX spent together alone?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 3 years ago.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

It seems that you have entered into a relationship with a good family man who thinks enough of you to bring you into his family circle.

I understand your frustration about finding enough time to be together, alone with him. I am sure that it is frustrating for him to, but fortunately he puts his children first, above himself, and above you, and this is the way it should be.

In the meantime, if you can put up with the situation, you will slowly be woven into the fabric of his life, and you into his.

You have not only a good man, but children who can become part of your life, if this is what you desire. If it is indeed a desirable aspect of this relationship, then enjoy the family and work with him on trying to find some together time.

Tell him how much you enjoy his family and the time you spend with them. Tell him that you would like to try to spend a bit more time, unimpeded, with him and ask him what he suggests.

If you are not keen on his family, then perhaps this is not the best situation for you. If you are enjoying his family as well, then you will have to bide your time positively and find opportunities for more intimate time together.

I wish you great success.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC