TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues

so my girlfriend called things off after I moved to Indy. She

so my girlfriend called things off after I moved to Indy. She lives in Chicago, so distance put a strain on things. Things were great, one could say as close to perfect as it could be. It makes it very frustrating. She is coming by the Saturday to pick up some of her things. This would be the first time seeing her in like 3 months. Any advice?
Hello, I’d like to help you with your question.

You may want to continue to keep a distance from her at least until you know how she is going to treat you. She could just want to get her things and not want to talk. If that is the case and you would attempt to talk to her, she might be upset. However, if she comes in and is friendly and talking with you, then it is ok to do the same. If things get at all personal, then it is alright to bring up the ending of your relationship. Be sure not to blame her but say instead “I was hurt by what happened and wondered if you would be willing to talk about what went on between us so I understand.”. By saying something like that, you are only asking her to talk with you and not expecting anything else. And it keeps blame out of it.

Also, if she seems open to it and you are ok with it, you can ask if she is willing to remain friends. That keeps a relationship going and also allows for a chance to rekindle the relationship.

I hope this has helped you,