Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Counselor
Experience:  I have a degree in psychology and worked with many couples. I am happily married and have been for 10 years.
13551071

Hello, ive been in a relationship for 8 months now. My girlfriend

Hello, i've been in a relationship for 8 months now. My girlfriend didn't have any other relationships before me and for that reason she is so obsessed with my past and with the people i met and had been with before even meeting her!
This is making me really overhhelmed and angry at her. Plus she is making me feel guilty like i did something wrong, which i know i didn't. How can i help her overcome this?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 2 years ago.

This is understandable since she has never had a previous relationship. I think you should continue talking with her as you have been. Communication is very important in order for you to not feel resentment toward her. I don't know which way she wants you to delete things if it is literally or in your mind. If she meant literally then maybe you can eliminate some pictures or etc that are no longer important for you anymore in order to make her more comfortable. Since that could make her jealous. However, if she wants you to delete it from your memory then yes that is impossible, try explaining to her that is your past and not important to you any longer. Explain that you have learned from your past and has helped you to become the person you are now. There is no reason you should feel guilty. You have done nothing wrong. Continue to show her love and affection and grow your relationship. As the two of you get closer and stronger than I believe she will be able to get past this. It will not last forever. You may just need to stick through this phase as her trust for you grows. I wish you well and please let me know if I can be of further help.

Thanks,

Jennifer
Jen Helant, Counselor
Experience: I have a degree in psychology and worked with many couples. I am happily married and have been for 10 years.