Dr. Tiye
Dr. Tiye, Psychologist
Experience:  As a Clinical Psychologist since 2002, I have conducted couples therapy and led relationship groups.
70624995

I was in a marriage where my in-laws really did not know the

Customer Question

I was in a marriage where my in-laws really did not know the concept of minding their own business. They were also very disrespectful toward mine and my ex-husband's marriage. It was like seven years of my life with little to no privacy. I was always walking on eggshells. I was also mad at my ex-husband for not having any backbone with them. I felt like he did not protect me from their aggressive personalities. They were getting into my work/educational decisions which was not right because it was my life.... not their life. I have a lot of anger toward all of them, because their interference in the relationship helped ruin my life and my ex-husband's life. I was mad at myself too for getting into the situation. My ex-husband kind of pushed the marriage too, but they blamed me for "manipulating" him into marrying me... which I did NOT. Having to deal with this level of idiots for seven years was very draining. What can I do to conquer the anger? I also have anxiety about running into them because I really can't stand any of them. They did not appreciate me at all, after I was very nice to all of them.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Tiye replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Tiye : Hello,
Dr. Tiye : I'm sorry you had to go through seven years of that, but it is totally up to you to make sure that their hold on your life ends today. As you mentioned they controlled pieces of you that were absolutely none of their business but now you are allowing them to continue their hold on your mind.
Customer:

I know. I think part of that is that I was raised not to divorce, so maybe I am still trying to rationalize the situation or something.

Dr. Tiye : The way to insure that they don't ultimately hold the victory is to take your life back. If you run into them, they should be able to see from your smile that they no longer have a hold on you and your life is so much better now.
Customer:

Thank you. :)

Dr. Tiye, Psychologist
Experience: As a Clinical Psychologist since 2002, I have conducted couples therapy and led relationship groups.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I also felt like this was a family where everything was the woman's fault. How do I get past that level of reverse psychology? My ex-husband had a lot of good qualities but he was also a packrat and was not good with confrontation or defending my honor as a female. He also would wear clothes for years and years until the fabric was coming apart. There are a lot of women that would have ran. I excepted a lot of his strange traits because I knew deep down he was a good person. However, his family never appreciated me, and tried to boss me around and get into my personal business and our marriage business way too much. I felt like no good deed ever went unpunished with them.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I also felt like this was a family where everything was the woman's fault.  How do I get past that level of reverse psychology?  My ex-husband had a lot of good qualities but he was also a packrat and was not good with confrontation or defending my honor as a female.  He also would wear clothes for years and years until the fabric was coming apart.  There are a lot of women that would have ran.  I excepted a lot of his strange traits because I knew deep down he was a good person.  However, his family never appreciated me, and tried to boss me around and get into my personal business and our marriage business way too much.  I felt like no good deed ever went unpunished with them.