SLREED
SLREED, Counselor
Experience:  MS Marriage/Family therapy. Four years as a counselor.
20550412

My wife has left me for another man, she filed for divorce

Customer Question

My wife has left me for another man, she filed for divorce 30 days ago now, I have had no contact with here at all and I am broken, sad and angry. I don't know how to get past the pain in my mind and heart. This is a slow and painful way to try to live each day...
Category: Relationship
Expert:  SLREED replied 4 years ago.
I will agree that getting over a divorce is painful, and it is sad to say that there is no easy answer to your question. What you are gong through is hard, and you are going to feel some pain. Some tips to make the situation easier on you can include the following.

First, just take one day at a time. Do not get to caught up on what is going on and how you are going to get through the week, month or year. Just get through the day, and try to make the best of every day. When you wake up tell yourself that you are going to get through this day, the best way that you know how and that you are not going to get brought down by sadness.

Second, start getting back into the swing of things. Start trying to find hobbies. Things that you enjoy. Things that you always wanted to do but never could. Things that you were not allowed to do in your marriage but always wanted to.

Third, try to take a vacation or do somethings that are fun. Do this with some of your friends. Some of your single friends, hopefully. Try to enjoy some bachelor activities with friends that are used to being bachelors. You can also join a meet up group or social club if you do not know where to start.

Fourth, seeing a counselor can be great for this type of thing. So that you have someone to talk to that you feel understands you and that is professionally trained to deal with this situations. Also if you want, there are divorce support groups where you can talk to people that are just like you and are going through what you are going through, and ways that they have coped with their divorce. This can be a great resource to assist you in dealing with your situations.